Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrestine

Missing "It's now safe to turn off your computer"

Fresh install of Windows ME on Socket-7/Via MVP3 combo in old AT box. Shutdowns were fine through all online Microsoft Update patches, installation of v4.45 Via chipset drivers and 41.09 nVidia graphics drivers. After installing Norton SystemWorks 2002, subjcet shutdown screen will not appear for manual shutdowns. I can shutdown safely without any damage to drives, but I do so only at a blank screen. Uninstalling Norton didn't help. The only way that I can get the proper shutdown screen is in safe mode. Logos.sys file appears to be OK (looks OK in MS Paint...) and is in the right place. Same thing happened to me on another old system of similar makeup with Windows ME and Norton SystemWorks 2001. Any ideas what can be causing this? The only solution that I've found is a clean reinstall of the O/S without Norton SystemWorks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Mike, Sr.

Well, since You're using Win Me, I think that It's such a Warning to get rid of it at time, maybe is better to do it now.

Excuse me, but that's my point of view about that OS, and I rather use Win98 than that Me.

P.S.: That missing screen is just nothing compared with what You're going to see later.

Yeah, I agree with you. I've got an extra copy of Win2k laying around, but I don't think that these old systems will support it. I don't really care for any flavors of the Win9x O/S's, but I'm having to use Win ME on these two old AT boxes in order to try to salvage some use out of them.

Mike, Sr.

Found the culprit, I think. Uninstalled Via 4.45's and still had problem. Then uninstalled nVidia 41.09's replacing them with default Windows ME nVidia drivers and everything is back to normal. Now I'm going to try to find an AGP driver/nVidia driver combo that will work. I heard that the 4.40 AGP driver works well with the MVP3 chipset. I'm going to give that a try and then see what version of nVidia drivers will work best.

Mike, Sr.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you. I've got an extra copy of Win2k laying around, but I don't think that these old systems will support it. I don't really care for any flavors of the Win9x O/S's, but I'm having to use Win ME on these two old AT boxes in order to try to salvage some use out of them.

Mike, Sr.

I've run 2K on as low as P90's with 32mb of ram..... Of course these were Intel machines but I also have XP loaded on my parent's Compaq K6-2 380Mhz (yeah, the one with no L2). It runs fine.....for what they do.

Yeah, I had an old Slot-1 MB with Intel 440BX chipset that wouldn't allow me to run Win2k due to a 1mb BIOS that limited the amount and type of CMOS code needed to support Win2k for that particular MB. Thought the same might apply to these two boards since they both have 1mb BIOS chips as well. Anyway, final solution for this project with Windows ME was to install Via AGP driver v4.40 only, not any of the other 4-in-1 4.45 components, and then install the latest Asus TNT drivers. The Asus drivers appear to be somewhat dated, but they work well. Everything on the entire system seems to work fine now. Only thing that I noticed in the Asus video card's driver properties tabs is that there is no AGP 2x even though it's enabled in the MB BIOS and no sideband addressing. Moreover, it doesn't list any extra AGP texture memory available and I have 64mb allocated in the MB BIOS. Anyway, it does work at least. Thanx to all who responded.

Mike, Sr.