Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaTiNsAnE

uh oh.....bad mouse

hey, I gotta prob with my mouse (or mobo either one) its an intelli-mouse explorer 3.0 stuff and every once and a while the mouse will just go off, then on, then off, then on.....really annoying when your about to get toasted in cs and you can't seem to shoot ur gun :\

any ideas would be appreciated

ty

Hi PaTiNsAnE,

I assume this is a USB mouse? It sounds to me like you're power supply might be on it's way out. If your power supply isn't providing enough juice your whole system will fluctuate like that. Another possibility is that you have a faulty USB port or just need a USB driver update. You don't have a USB 2 controller do you that could also be problematic since they're so new. Try getting a voltage monitoring tool that supports your motherboard, noting that not all motherboards can even do that. Another thing is that the USB plug may be a loose fit or not in there all the way. Try using a different port, that isn't so "loose" and see if that doesn't help. Another option is to buy a 7+ dollar USB controller, plug your mouse into that and see if the problems don't disappear. I had a bad USB port on an Intel 440BX chipset, which is otherwise known for having rock solid USB functionality. I was just unluckly and also found out about my problem after the warranty period frown.

Good Luck,

Christian

Another thing to look at is IRQ conflicts.

Under XP, IRQs are shared - everything on a USB port will usually be assigned a logical IRQ, but they will point to a single physical IRQ (usually 9)

DO you have any other USB devices running? Is modem USB?

actually, I have it connected through the ps/2 port with the adapter. Sorry I didnt bring this up before. All of the previous usb problems you brought forward are still possibilities and may still apply to the ps/2 ports hmm....Ill look into this.

thanks for your ideas, Ill reply when I figure it out

Hi Andy2k,

USB doesn't have IRQ conflicts between itself and other connected USB Devices. USB has exactly enough addresses that you can attach up to 128 devices to a single hub without running out of unique addresses, thereby avoiding conflicts. My motherboard has 4 USB hubs so hypothetically I could connect 512 devices without issue. It is true however that he could have problems with the actual USB controller taking an IRQ from other sytem devices and that the USB controller (not it's attached devices like your mouse) could conflict with another device. However USB controller support IRQ sharing so the only way you could have a conflict is if the motherboard/bios put the USB controller on an IRQ with an ISA device. A PS/2 mouse port is a perfect example it's an ISA interface or device. ACPI typically uses IRQ 9 and yes it won't share with other devices. This is by design, because ACPI is supposed to be able to facilitate power management functions and for whatever reason the designers felt that giving it it's OWN IRQ was the best solution. It may be that systems would have to lend CPU time to every device on the IRQ if ACPI allowed IRQ sharing, whereas right now the only device that'd get CPU time if IRQ9 remained awake would be the ACPI controller. A working USB Controller costs between 7 and 20 dollars for USB 1 and 2 respectively. You might just buy another USB controller plug it in and see if that was your problem. YOu could pick on up at compusa and return it saying oops you didn't have PCI slots or something funny like that smile.

Good Luck,

Christian

Hi PatinSane,

Did you try replacing your power supply and or returning the mouse and working with a different one? This sounds like an electrical issue?

-Christian