Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Unable to record *any* audio with my PCI 128

Can anyone explain why I can't record sound with this card plz?

I've tried recording from Winamp, WMP9, Realplayer, Quicktime etc...

I generally use Sound Recorder to capture sound in .wav format (but I've tried other programs too). But no matter what I use to play or capture sound, nothing gets recorded.

Eg: I open winamp play an mp3 and at the same time have sound recorder try and capture the audio as a .wav

The mixer sliders are set to the correct volumes, and I've tried recording with and without the use of DirectSound... but it makes no difference. The result is either, no audio recorded (at a detectable level at least) or very distorted stratchy audio when all volume settings are cranked up to max... full of static and completely useless.

Now I used to have a SB Live! Value (original) card in this PC but took it out because I kept getting BSODs under Windows 2000. The audio recording / playback with that card was fine. Now I have a PCI 128 (CT4700), Windows XP and no ability to record. (Although the same prob occured under 2000 with the 128).

I also had the 'scream and lockup' problem and sound still crackles and pops in some games. But the VIA PCI Latency patch solved it for the most part.

Since I've tried everything I can think of on the software side and tested it under many different recording apps and 2 OSes, the problem must be hardware related. Although I've tried altering PCI timings in the BIOS and tried the card in different PCI slots on the board many times during its lifetime. *sigh* the fact is I'm no expert I would apriciate ideas anyone may have.

Thanks

System:

ABIT KT7E System Board (VIA Apollo KT133E Chipset, VT8363E Northbridge, VT82C686B Southbridge)

ABIT BIOS: 3R

AWARD BIOS: 6.00PG

ACPI Enabled

VIA 4in1 Driver 4.43

VIA PCI Latency Patch 0.19

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster PCI 128 (CT4700)

**NOT sharing resorces with any other cards**

PCI Slot #3

I/O Range: E400-E43F

IRQ 3

Standard XP WDM Drivers 5.1.2535.0 (no updates avaliable from Creative)

Windows XP Pro SP1 (Also tested under Windows 2000 Pro SP2)

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but if all you're really trying to accomplish is converting .mp3's to .wav maybe this would work.

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Call me a pessimist but I wouldn't be surprised if your drivers or maybe the programs you are using have some sort of DRM built in to stop you from doing that... working under the assumption that you're trying to capture copyrighted streams from the internet. frown

Well

1. What exaclty are you trying to do, simply convert an MP3 ON your computer to wav?

or

2. Trying to record a streaming source via Winamp?

if number to use Streamripper 32 smile it can record any streaming audio from winamp.

if u want to convert from mp3 2 wav - use a program to do this.

Just wondering but did tick in the sound mixer rec line-in?.

1. In the main I'm trying to convert mp3's on my PC to .wav

2. As stated in my original post I *have* to use the default XP WDM drivers are there are non from creative for the model of my card (CT4700).

3. I have tried every combination of volume adjustments mute and un-mute to no effect.

It's the 128 thats the problem with the Live! I could record sound like I described perfectly (but had BSODs). So I put the 128 in and I can't record sound.

What I was trying to work out was whether it's a limitation of the hardware or drivers, or the hardware is faulty itself, because as you can see from my first post, I've tried everything I can think of to solve this.

If you are using winamp2, you can just change the output to disk writer and create a wav using that.

the problem is you are not supposed to "check the volume" sliders. You need to check the correct source for recording.

Goto your audio mixer, click options>properties

then click the "recording" button. and OK

Now you have your ecording section. Under what would normally look like mute bottons changes to "select"

Click the checkbox to select your source, probably Wava/directsound, or "What you hear" thsese slider bars set how loud to record at; they have no bearing on whether you can hear the audio or not. For example, you can record your wav source loud, but on the volume sliders, mute them completely. This is best way to rtecord form mic. Mute the mic, but set the record slider high and select it.

Quote:

1. In the main I'm trying to convert mp3's on my PC to .wav

so why not just get a free mp3 2 wav converter instead of this whole hassle?

When I select the recording option on the volume tab I get the following options:

Phone Line, Aux Volume, Mic Volume, Line In and CD Audio

and the tick boxes below still say mute rather than select. (I know what duhmez is saying though, I had the other layout with my old sound card the Live!).

On the recording section I must have the Mic Volume unchecked and on Playback section Master Volume and Wave. I need to select 20dB boost on the mic aswell for it to pick up any sound. But the sound I record is too distorted (because of the high volume settings), and the recording is full of crackling and 'background noise'.

frown

get at least a M-Audio soundcard. If you want to record audio you need a sound card that is capable of recording with high quality. even the audigy wont give you good quality of sound when recording.

I have all sorts of quality loss when i'm recording video from an anolog source woth my SB live. i have tried Audigy and it is exactly the same. the recording quality on creative souncards is not as good as their playback.

Download and install Free CDex.

it's free and among the best.