Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mantholz

Xcom UFO Defense

I love this game and purchased it a while back to play just for the heck of it. I have Windows xp and after doing some searching on this site I can't find anything to help me get it running. I would appreciate any input as to how I might be able to get this game running, I've tried all compatability modes, running from the dos prompt, etc to no avail so far.

Tried that on the batch file but the original doesn't have an exe and is run from the batch file. I couldn't get it to work but doesn't mean I wasn't doing it wrong.

Basically the game opens up just fine. I don't have music but that's ok with me for right now would just like to get it running. When I hit new game, every time I click on an area to put my base (doesn't matter where on the globe or how far in or out I am) it exits me back to windows. It used to give me a message about ntvdm something or other but after trying to use qfixapp and vdmsound it just exits with no error message. Please help me fix this as I love this game.

Is this the DOS XCOM? If so then IIRC there is no fix. I recommend playing the Windows versions. Your only other solution would be to try the game under Connectix Virtual PC or try the game under Real DOS.

This is the old dos xcom and since I couldn't get it working on xp I took one of my computers, partitioned it and dual boot to xp and 98se. I have this set up in 98se and it STILL won't work. I've tried rebooting to dos and everything. Downloaded the newest video drivers, disabled video acceleration, etc. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm going to download and try vdm next.

Quote:
This is the old dos xcom and since I couldn't get it working on xp I took one of my computers, partitioned it and dual boot to xp and 98se. I have this set up in 98se and it STILL won't work. I've tried rebooting to dos and everything. Downloaded the newest video drivers, disabled video acceleration, etc. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm going to download and try vdm next.

The old DOS version will crash on you at the base naming screen. I don't know how to get it past that point.

hi man

i play this game too for long time , i had same problem with you.

i have solution for this just run the dxdiag and goto tab display and press the disable button beside the directdraw then try to run the game again. hope it help u.