Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Well my computer studies professor seems to think otherwise.

from a forum i post on - a friend posted this

Quote:

I have a question about burners aswell.

I was looking into buying a DVD burner, but I was told there is a program you can buy (or steal) that allows you to use your existing burner to burn DVD's.

Anyone know about this?

Quote:

Well my computer studies professor seems to think otherwise....

He said some 15 year old kid "cracked the code" and now there's a program out there....

Is this true? frankly i thought that cdrom lasers are simply not capable of reading multi-layered disks?

i looked for details but could not find it, so if someone can perhaps fill this thread wirth facts etc - i would like to give them to my friend so he can possibly have his professor fired for stupidity?

BUT

if this is true - why is it not simething widely availible? who ever made it could be fairly well off.

The Prof is probly referring to that kid who wrote some code to play his DVD's on *nix and went to court over it. That's my theory anyway.

kew, i ahd thought so, like i know the obvious of copying dvd / ripping them etc etc!

but did not think a regualr good old 52x cdrom could read a dvd!

thnx guys! shall tell my friend to tell his prof. this

I'm pretty sure that DVD drives use lasers at different frequencies to those in CD drives.

So it is physically impossible for a CD drive to read a DVD disk.

I was reading a week or two back about a new DVD format on the horizon (Blue something or other), and the article there said that these new players need to have 3 lasers in them.

One for CD, one for current DVD, and a third for the new Blue-wotsit DVDs.

So there ya go smile

The kid that cracked the dvd encryption, allows you to copy the dvd from the disc, to the hard drive in unencrypted form. From there you can edit, recompress, whatever you want to the unprotected data.

Cd drives cant read dvd's, nor cd buners.

however you can author the dvd movie as a VCD or SVCD on standard CDR and RW disks.

www.vcdhelp.com has all the info and free programs to do this, rip the unprotected stream to the HD and recompressa to a lower bitrate.

Of course using mpeg4 (Divx) you can have much beter quality and smaller size, but will not run on most standalone dvd playing units.

The web's ultimate DVD backup website is www.doom9.org, with a primary focus on divx, for making DVD R/RW backups, or DVD to VCD or SVCD, www.vcdhelp.com cannot be beaten.

So, in a way, you can indeed use your existing burner to "Burn dvd's" but you must reencode it to a much smaller filesize and author as a vcd or SVCD. This may be what he was referring to when he said you can use your regular burner to burn them. You did not say that he said you can read them with a cd drive, just burn with a regular cdrw drive. And dvd rom drives are dirt cheap.