Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ldiot8oy

Quick question please

Ok, I'm a huge Monty Python freak...and I picked up "The Meaning of Life" out of the Bargain bin for $1.99.

So, I'm running WinXP Home w/ Service Pack 1.

However, when I tried to install the game, it tells me "This program requires Windows NT 4.0 service pack 3 or higher."

If I install WinNT SP 4 on my XP machine, will it screw everything up? If so, any other solution?

Well first off I doubt NT4 SPs will install under XP anyway, but I wouldn't advise trying it anyway!! smile

Your best bet here is to see if there were any updates for the game that added XP support - check with the publisher/developer's sites or any of the main gaming websites out there (gamespot.com for example or 3dgamers.com).

Failing that, XP has the capability to run in "compatibilty mode" for older apps/games..simply browse to the shortcut for the game on the Start menu, right-click it, choose properties, and have a look at the options under the "compatibility tab" (try running it in Win98 mode maybe).

Of course, dont forget to check out the Compatibility lists on the main NTCompatible page - someone out there may have already tested it and be able to tell you one way or another as to whether it'll work for you smile

Hope this helps...Good luck! smile

Quote:
If I install WinNT SP 4 on my XP machine, will it screw everything up? If so, any other solution?

I think he was meaning actually installing WinNT with SP4 not SP4 from WinNT onto XP.

Anyway your best bet is to try compatibility like alecstaar suggested.

Well, first of all the Producers, 7th Level, has gone out of the game business, so no dice on support.

However, I set the install program on the CD to run in Win95 compatability...and it worked great!

Thanks alot guys!!! Off to wander around in Pythonic bliss! wink