Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
car79

Various Games will not install XP

On Installation of various sierra ie Pharoh and Caesar III. I have found that when the setup shield starts it gets to 99% and then stops. The setup sheield disappears and nothing further happens. It does not even get to the stage of installing files.

I have all the windows updates and latest drivers for all my hardware.

WinXPpro.

Nvidia Geforce 2mx400

Intel Pentium III 866Mhz

384Mb SDRAM

DirectX9.0

All these games work fine under win 98 SE and on another computer I have. With, Winxppro, AMD Athlon 800Mhz, Leadtek Nvidia geforce 256 32MB DDR Ram, 384 MB SDRAM and both machines have the same Soundblaster live cards.

Any suggestion would be appreciated thankyou.

Until someone comes up with s specific answer, I think you should check your system and your hardware: is everything OK? I had a similar problem with Thief2 and AvP2 on my Win2kPro, and the main fault was that Sound Blasters drivers were anything but in order (without me knowing anything about that) and that effected Windows so that it wouldn't function properly. Eventually, the whole harddrive busted frown

So check your system first; there's probably something wrong with Windows or your hardware/drivers. Having the latest drivers doesn't always mean everything is OK.

Try to install any other software (Not games).

I had a similar problem once. The cause was that I have disebled some stupid service (can't remembre wich one).

I seem to remember something in the MSKB about installshield errors. Have you run windows update, installed all latest patches, etc.?

Yes. I have run windows update and I have all the updates availible.

I can install other software that is not a game I have not had any trouble there. I have also been able to install another old faithful game Tomb raider Chronicles, So what I can gather I can install any software(not games) and I can install some games too.

I have even tried installing these games through the compatability wizard but .... ;( it still does not work.

It doesn't seem to be a driver problem as both machines are running the same drivers! and I am sure that both machines have exactly the same services disabled.

Thanks for everyones input, all these replies are appreciated.

If I find the answer to this problem I will post the solution ASAP. I hope you all will do th same.

Kind regards

Windows Installer is running.

It's not a NTFS problem as I installed Xp using a FAT32 file system.

And No I have not been playing with the registry.

I have isolated the problem to being only sierra games pre 2001( pharoh, caesar III, Zeus), but caesar II which has a DOS installer works fine. I have just also installed Empire Earth which is a 2001 sierra game and I have had no problems.

Still I find this strange as my other computer runs all these games with no problems with WinXPpro.

Try run the setup it self also Try run the setup in win9x compatible mode by make a short cut in stade of using the autorun.

IIRC, the 99% error in games is a bug in Installshield. I think it can be fixed by replacing the setup.exe with another setup.exe but It's been about forever and a half since I've encountered this problem and it's happened only once. (I have over 300+ Windows games that I've installer over and over and the 99% has only happened once.)

You might try searching the forums. I believe this has been hashed over before.

Does anybody (especially Dosfreak) know how to get c&c to install cos evrytime i try and run the install program it crashes and drops back onto my desktop. plz plz plz plz cud sumbody help??? ;( ;( ;( ;( frown

I have been trying to install Caesar III on XP Home SP2 for a while. It was doing my head in but then I disabled Microsoft Antispyware, changing my TEMP and TMP environment vars to c:\temp and it worked!