Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pkiff

Win2k network

I can't get my network connection to work for my 2 win 2k machines. I have a direct crossover connection between the two machines, both have the win2k operating system and the connnection worked previously before i got a new computer. If you need more info drop a post. Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks,

pkiff

Protocols? If TCP/IP, are you using static or dynamic? Which addresses? Can you ping? etc.

It'll be interesting to see if your problems are the same as mine (and a lot of others). See 10 topics back from yours.

I've managed to get my two Win2K machines working as a peer-to-peer setup using Internet Connection Sharing but, because using a 56K modem, it won't work as slickly as with an 'always connected' modem. Despite what some people say, I think Microsoft's instructions for configuring for ICS is misleading.

My experience was that I had to create a user with the name of the other computer. (W2k-W98) But with XP's there was no need to do so.

Yeah and don't forget to turn off the firewalls!!! laugh

make sure that the user is listed under both computers. If Win2k or XP doesnt have the same users on either box the network will not see them. Also make sure that the secondary NICs are both on the same subnet, that will make networking them easier as well. It probably comes down to not having the same user on the browse master.

Thc129,

You state "Make sure that the user is listed under both computers". WHICH user, and why? Please explain.