Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZEHN

Connection Manager for DSL

I just got SBC/Yahoo DSL and after installing their software I found that Yahoo has their fingers everywhere in my system. BLAWK!

Without going into a "Why do they find it necessary" rant could someone point me in the right direction for a low overhead connection manager?

I am a nOob so I would like something that is easy to use.

I would think that XP would have the DSL version of the dail-up connection thingie.

I did do a search on these forums using the key words "connection manager" and nothing really came back to answer this so I'm lead to believe that this has never been asked before or is so elementary as to be a dumb question.

I thank you in advance for your help and time. smile

if your running xp do this instead of their cd crapola

u have step by step directions for setting up your dsl manually in xp

right click my network places then properties

doubleclick new connection wizard then next

click the 2nd boxdown (the description says setup a vpn or virtual private network)

follow the prompts from here and viola'

Jerry

I shall pull my head out of my arse now.

I should have known that and I thank you for helping me.

it's all the same type of connection all in all

cable is just a wan

dsl uses a vpn

i use a vpn to connect to work from home over my cable

so u can have both working on the system at the same time

laugh

To update this thread...

I tried to run the Connection Wizard and it was a no go.

I called SBC/Yahoo tech support up and there is a compact version of there connect manager on the CD.

So if anybody else is like me (nOob) and doesn't want all the craptastic stuff that comes along with the install then call up tech support and I'm sure they can help out with a no overhead ADSL connection.

With there connection manager my duel CPU 1.25GHz Tullie box (1 GIG Ram) was hanging around 40% CPU Usage in the "performance" tab of the Task Manager at idle, now it is at 5% without there connection manager.

That is alot of overhead and I won't go into a rant about "Why do they find it necessary" this time...again. smile