Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Durt

Critical update stopped Task Scheduler Service

The Microsoft critcial update released yesterday (810833), messed up the Task Scheduler Service. When I try and start this service, I get, "Error 1717: The interface is unknown". The MS page for this patch is here

This service worked fine until this morning. I tried uninstalling the hotfix but that didn't fix anything. Anyone else have this problem?

Deleted all the tasks... same error.

How do I uninstall, then reinstall the task scheduler service? Any dependancies that I need to worry about?

Quote:
Care to run system file checker

start
run
sfc /scannow

smile

Ran it... it said I had to be administrator running a console window. Sad thing was, I was logged in as administrator and I was running it from a console window. I am getting real close to getting a third party crontab program.

Edit: Got SFC to work, I was trying to run it from a TS session, W2k didn't like that. This didn't fix the problem, however.

Nope, I haven't run any regclean type apps. Maybe an uninstall of a program did the reg corruption. Haven't looked at the .tlb files yet. I think I will install a crontab program tonight, then I can disect this problem at my leisure. It does look like the update didn't do the corruption, or other people would of chimed in. Something else did the corruption.

Thanks for all your help!

Here's a solution that worked for me when I encountered the same error code when starting the Task Scheduler service..

Make sure your Event Log service is started and set to automatic.

Hope this helps laugh

Joel32137's fix did it for the task scheduler unknown interface error 1717 problem. I just turned on the Event Log service, and waa-laa(is that how you spell it?) smilesmilesmile