Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mpower

WHERE Windows XP store the autom. downloaded patches?

I would like to know if it's possible to backup the fixes/patches and updates that Windows XP donwload automatically from Microsoft, by this way when I do a new CLEAN intallation I could install all the updates at the same time and I would have not to wait until the SO completes all the downloads again...

PLEASE HELP and thank you very much in advance...

most updates are in SP2 - just get a network distribution version.

as for other updates - i am sure you can, but not sure how smile

The free way is to use Windows Catalog (Terrible interface....but it's free).

I use UpdateExpert which is costly but worth it.

Quote:
most updates are in SP2 - just get a network distribution version.

as for other updates - i am sure you can, but not sure how smile

sp2?

do you know when Sp2 is set to go into beta testing?? I was thinking that it should be pretty soon due to the fact that everything MS has on its platter is pretty much off the block, DX9, WMP9. So that leaves Sp 2 to be out soon.

Hi all,

Just in relation to the above....

I just reloaded my laptop last night with WinXP Pro and ran Windows Update but rather than having to sit through HOURS of downloading hell (56k sucks!! :() they "downloaded" and installed within only a few minutes??

(Note here: the laptop and the PC I'm typing this on are both linked thru a 3rd PC/Server in which the 56k modem is installed to the internet).

I've had a look on all three systems and, although I located the WUTemp folder AlecStarr mentioned, they all appear to be empty? Now I know this could be that its cleared itself out since, BUT I actually had reloaded the laptop twice between last night/night before, and in BOTH instances the WinUpdates ran almost instantaneously, so surely if it HAD cleared itself out in between, the 2nd Update wouldn't have worked as it did?

So, if anyone has any ideas where else I might try to find these updates on the box(es), that'd be great smile

Thanks in advance....

In Control Panel, you'll see a hotfix number, such as Q123456. Do a search on the computer with the modem in it for all files containing that hotfix number, that should turn up where the hotfixes are.