Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

NT to 2000 server

I would like to migrate our network from NT server to Win2000 server. Since I am not fully verse with AD yet can I upgrade to 2000 using local.domain.com just within our network only. We have internet access that we use for email and website. I want to leave the internet connection as is for now. What's going to happen in this scenerio? or would it be easier if I just created a workgroup instead of a local domain. Sysadmin please jump in...thanks in advance

I am not a sysadmin but I tried to upgrade my home network from NT server to 2000. My advice is that if you do not understand AD then stick with NT.

In situations such as this, I personally would deploy to a test domain first, not on the production domain. That's standard practice. That would also give you a chance to get a better understanding of AD. I would also recommend, if you don't have it already, the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit; Very useful information in there!

Always good advice to test out in atest network before hand. The way I normally do it is to build the new domain controller with win2k and set up with AD then transfer the olf NT domain users across using the ADMT (active director migration tool) lost count of how many I've done now and it works a treat.

I'd advise getting yourself a good book or 5 and stinng down for a long read first though. Mark Minasi books are the nest I've found.

Have Fun

Some Call Me Tim

Well I will throw in a couple of things ....

With NT 4 hitting its Microsoft End of Life, I would strongly recommend going to a product that is supported.

With DNS, it is "easier" for internal DNS to have the same name as the external one.

Everyone is absolutely correct with trying all this in a test domain.

When going live, unplug a BDC from the network ... you can always promote it "IF" something goes wrong with your Win2k PDC emulator.

Anymore specific questions ? smile