Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rickardo

DVDRom in PIO mode !?

Hi there smile

From time to time i'll go check in WinXP the secondary IDE chanel in system properties and I get a strange change in my DVD IDE channel! It changes from Ultra DMA mode 2 , to PIO mode! I unnistall 2ry IDE channel, do a refresh, reboot and it get ok, but in a few days it gets to the same PIO crap! Notice that I have a CDRW as master in the same IDE channel, but i don't think thats the problem... Anyone who knows about this issue? Thanks a lot! :P

Specs:

DVD-LG + Sony CDRW, both in same IDE channel

40Gb HD + 20GB HD, In the other IDE

Sblive

Gforce4 Ti 4200

512 DDR

Atlhon +1700XP

ECS k7s5a

in the BIOS is all detected automaticly and I never had this problem before, and dont know if it is from clone cd or something... If there is a way like a reg key to block in DMA or something I would be apreciated... tks

Hi there, I have the same problem with my DVDReader going to PIO mode after a fresh XP install.

On my second IDE channel I have Sony DRU500A and JLMS LTD-165H (rebadged Lite-On) as master and slave respectively. When I first ran windows XP Pro after a fresh install the drives showed as DMA 3 (Sony) and DMA 2 (JLMS), all was fine, the JLMS would copy from a dvd at >11x. But after a few days the drive reverted back to PIO and the Sony DMA also dropped to DMA2.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA7DXR and I am using an ATA66 cable to connect the drives.

Start>Run>Regedit.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You should see a set of subkeys 0000,0001,0002 etc

Find the subkey that corrisponds to your 2nd IDE channel, the string value 'MatchingDeviceId' will tell you which this is. (on my machine it was subkey 0002).

Backup the above key incase of a mistake

Now find the dword values called 'SlaveDeviceTimingMode' and 'SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed'

Delete the 'SlaveDeviceTimingMode' and set the 'SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed' to a hex value of 'ffffffff'

Close regedit and reboot! laugh

Hi, thats certainly a method I am goint to try, but not right now because I am burning a DVD and the DVD Reader that was stuck in PIO isnt connected anymore, my LiteOn cdrw is in its place, which, incidentaly is still running in DMA2 after almost a week.

But I will try your method soon.

PS I flashed the firmware on the dvd reader a while ago and aplied a RCE patch, do you think that could have an effect on the drives performance..?

If you want to try the old drive again that tip is 99% effective (unless the hardware is faulty).

As for the firmware patch, since thats not my field so to speak I have no idea.. I only patched the firmware on my drive to enable region free decoding.

I pretty sure that the hardware isnt faulty, the drive worked for months before putting the Sony DVD RW on the same cable. Ill give it a try and look for some newer firmware as well.

Thanks

MArk

from what i heard, it is best to have your DVD or DVD-rw drive as the Master whether on secondary or primary. this may not help, but this was a suggestion i do recall hearing.

on my secondary channel I have the DVDRW as the master, and then a normal dvd rom as the slave. Its the slave thats stuck in PIO.

Sorry if I didnt explain this better...

Thanks,

Mark.