Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bazzinett

Routing failures using 2 NICs and windows2k srv.

Pulling my hair out because I thought this would be easy. Boy was I wrong.

Here goes my setup:

Installed 2 NICs, both with IPs setup properly

Went into the registry in enabled Ip Forwarding, and a ipconfig /all reports Ip forwarding as yes.

NIC #1:

IP 10.176.251.50

SM: 255.255.255.0

GW: 10.176.251.150

NIC#2

IP: 204.224.246.200

SM: 255.255.255.0

No gateway.

The NIC on the 10.xxx side is able to ping all of the 10.xxx address on the network. The Nic on the 204 side is also able to ping everything on the 204.xxx network

Now, on a PC on the 10.176.251.xxx side, I entered a route add command as follows:

route add 204.224.246.0 mask 255.255.255.0

This allows me to ping the NIC#2 on the server, but nothing else on the 204 side, just the 204.224.246.200 NIC on the server. There seems to be little documentation on this on the net and I really pulling my hair out just to get this working. Frustrated...

Did you use the RRAS snap in to configure this multihomed machine as a network router?

Winroute Pro is "usually" seen as a better alternative if this is being used in a business environement.

I would doublecheck your gateways. Wouldnt you want traffic routed out the 204 public address instead of the 10 private?

Yes, I used RRAS and that did nothing for me (probably since I have never used it before). Both networks are actually private networks. The only thing that leaves to the internet is through a linksys firewall with a 54.xxx NAT'ed IP (the GW of 10.176.251.250)

Is there something in the routing table I need to add? RIP? I configured RRAS to be a LAN only router and basically expected it work with no extra configuring, which it hasnt so far. So I am assuming something needs to be added. But what?

Finally, I figured it out. The PC I was trying to hit across the network didnt have a gateway. Just made the gateway the router, which worked great. Jeez...

Miller time....

Quote:

I would doublecheck your gateways. Wouldnt you want traffic routed out the 204 public address instead of the 10 private?

Good glad to hear mate laugh . I have found that relatively simple mistakes such as wrong IPs, Gateways, Masks, etc have caused problems on my networks.

Although I figured out a solution, I am still screwed. I obtained a solution by duplicating the exact enviroment on my systems at home. The actual production systems at work that need gateways are maintained by ADP and I am very sure they wont give me thier root passwords to allow me to make any changed I would like to do. So, the easy way out is to just hook their and our switches together with a crossover and use dual IPs on each person needing to telnet into ADP's DMS system.