Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jeff*

KT3 Ultra2 + 350w ps = still no boot up

Well, here's the current system I'm trying to get going.

MSI KT3 Ultra2

athlonxp 2100 w/ a volcano7

geforce 2mx

256mb ddr333

60gb maxtor 7200

32x lg cd

I previously had a (generic) 300w ..

Well, that was enough to run at 2100+ with random reboots on heavy loads.. But when underclocked to 1.3ghz (1500 spec) it ran fine.

But 1.3ghz just isn't good enough when I have a 1.7ghz processor.. so I went and picked up a 350w powersupply hoping to solve my problem.

I booted up, ran at 1500. Works fine. Ok, now to goto spec.. put up the bus and run at 2100.. .it just shuts off before/shortly after POST.

ARGH! Still can't run at STOCK speeds.

What do you think? More power? Bad board? Or maybe should I try up[censored] the BIOS/VIA 4in1s?

Try Clearing CMOS and run the chip at it's default/auto settings, maybe the board has set the cpu voltage too low. Or 'yes' get the latest bios. I have the same board in the RAID flavor and haven't had any problems with my 2100+ on a 350Watt cheap azz powers supply.

You may need the latest bios or I would say the board/mem is bad. http://www.msi.com.tw

I've already tried clearing the CMOS to no avail.. running at the stock 1500 still creates a random reboot.

I can't even stay in the BIOS without it rebooting on me :|

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try up[censored] the BIOS tonight and then swapping out the RAM.

By the way you do have a 2100+ right? If so it runs stock at 1.73GHz. 133X 13.0 right. Just wanted to clarify. What BIOS version are you running?

One way to tell if it is a power issue is to disconnect the power on all drives, take out all cards except video and see if it still reboots. With your computer set at 133MHz BUS make sure the memory is NOT set to HCLK+66. You want it at HCLK+33 on 133MHz BUS if it is PC2700. Or HCLK on 133MHz BUS if it is PC2100.

Last what are your other hardware specs?