Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

GeForce FX vs Radeon 9700 - your thoughts? - official thread

Quote:
Quote:
the AIW would be good, how much less is the clock speeds on the AIW compare to the pro, i don't think it is much.

From everything I've read, it isn't. All the 9700 AIWs I've seen are Pros as well.

yeppers - but it uses diff. memory

Quote:

Unlike the Pro, which has a small shim placed underneath a cluster of capacitors, the AIW 9700 Pro doesn't come designed in that manner. Rather it seems that ATI has chosen to use a few mini-RAM sinks on a couple of voltage converters. (Pictured above left: left Radeon 9700 Pro, right AIW 9700 Pro.) As for the memory, the AIW seems to have undergone another design change. Both the AIW 9700 Pro and the Radeon 9700 Pro are packed with 128MB@310MHz, but the change I am referring to is the rated memory chip. Instead of the Samsung 2.3ns MicroBGA DDR SDRAM, the All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro get Samsung 4.7ns MicroBGA DDR SDRAM. (Pictured above right: left Radeon 9700 Pro, right AIW 9700 Pro.) I am sure many are curious, as to how that will effect performance. The fact of the matter is that it won't. Both utilize the EXACT same memory and clock speeds. [For spec sake, I thought it worthwhile to mention.] Meanwhile, ATI pulls out one of the biggest improvements on the All-In-Wonder line in over FIVE some years. The past AIW cards, including the relatively recent 7500/8500, which as still much in use, used a Rage Theater chip. This overhaul was much needed, and brings the All-In-Wonder line further up to date with better video and audio quality, compared to the past generations.

Yeah, I know, I noticed that too. But the real world differences between the two seem to be so low that it really doesn't matter.

It might hamper your ability to overclock the card, but then if that's what you were planning, you probably wouldn't go for the AIW anyway. I'd imagine the extra components on the card would crap out on you before the RAM or GPU does.

^^^^

yeppers, i didn't doubt your post, just providing some info thas all!

and yes, i don't think the AIW is meant for over clocking as it is a multimedia card - not a gamers card

i really hope they start to pop out the 256mb versions soon! or get their new r350 cards out!

If you are not sure which 9700Pro to get, seriously consider the Crucial one.

They follow ATI's spec to the letter and at £232 inc VAT I think it is also the cheapest one out there.

Not an AIW but really is a nice card - well will be once it is 100% compatible with Granite Bay based motherboards (only about 95% compatability between the two right now).

9800 coming soon!

the FX lower end cards may look half decent, but i think i would still get an ATI 9200 or something laugh