Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

I need a program that will replace all instances of a file

Hi Gang,

I need a program will replace all instances of a file on a drive or drives with a newer version if there is one. Does anyone know of such an app?

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

If this is a one-time solution, I would probably recommed just using the Windows search command... Would you need this program to be GUI or CLI based?

Hi Adam,

I shouldn't have, but I've already gone ahead and started writing an application to meet my needs smile. However since I'm doing a half-ass job I'm still interested in more complete solutions. Also freeware would be preferable.

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

Quote:
Hi Adam,
I shouldn't have, but I've already gone ahead and started writing an application to meet my needs smile. However since I'm doing a half-ass job I'm still interested in more complete solutions. Also freeware would be preferable.
Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

I do that all the time with ZTree. No big deal ;-).

Hi AlecStaar,

Ya I thought about triaging the folders, but I have never done that and while I can conceptualize how I didn't feel like putting that much time into it. I do plan on writing such an application, but not yet. Believe it or not even though I've written computer AI and what not, I still really haven't worked with a ListBox that much so I thought I'd play with that. Basically you select what file you want to distribute and which folders you want to put it in. If I feel like it I'll expand from there allow users to back up the older file, have some compilation commands, and allow users to copy single files and or a selection of files and folders, but really I already have a lot more interesting products I'm working on so it'll have to take a back burner. Also I would like to have something that would FTP sets of files and folders via a decent script. I know CuteFTP can, but I don't think they do that great of a job. How'd InnoSetup work out for you? Did you try it yet? Don't feel bad if you haven't some really nice guy from England went to all the trouble to mail me a copy of Delphi 7 and I still haven't used that either smile. I've just been too busy and I'm really starting to get good at VB so it's hard for me to want to use anything else right now. Oh if you want to play my Checkers game (it's the lame ass bloated windows installer though) go to Checkers.net.

Cheers Amigo,

Christian

You could download Kixtart from www.kixtart.org and use that. I've used it to do many things. It's easy to program in, and has lot's of functions. You will be pleased. YOu can write a program in it that will search for the files and replace it with the newer version based on what your looking for. Like file size, date, last modifed whatever... Take a look and see if it will do what your looking for. FYI, you will have to code your own program but the possibilities are endless with this little beast of a program.

Hi LinuxBoy,

I typically try to make programs that are portable. Without a lot of additional bloat and runtimes. That is why I program in Visual Basic. That was a joke by the way laugh. No seriously I do like to write real standalone programs on my own. I'm sure it's a great scripting language, but I need to know another one of those like I need a hole in my head smile. I'll just learn to do it via the Windows API and VB. Thanks for sending me the link though, I'll forward it on to some networking friends of mine who would most likely get better use out of it.

Thanks,

Christian

Hi Alec,

By the way it's a Checkers game and not chess. Sorry frown. I chose checkers, because this was my first major programming expedition and I knew the rules were simpler than chess. I like chess better too, but since I've had to play checkers so much while developing this I suppose in some ways I like it's simplicity better now smile. Chess is however a far superior brain exercise wink. Hey I came across a bunch of cool source code at www.SysInternals.com. You should definetly take a look at what they have available and consider incorporating some of that into your own programs. Some of the source is open in that manner and some is not so you would want to pay attention to their licensing requirements. http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source.shtml

They even have the source for a defragmenter and a scandisk program.

Cheers Amigo,

Christian