Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

IBM to help AMD make new CPU's in future!

OMG! Have AMD been kicked in the head or something, IBM dont really have a great populartiy at this time after there HDD's :D, 2 companies that both provide overheating hardware 8) laugh

It is probably going to be an excellent move for providing new technology into the CPU's, the only thing that is maybe a concern is that IBM may end up owning AMD. wether or not this will be a bad thing who knows?

Anyway AMD are doing well and if they introduce new AMD only technology's into their processors (3DNow+ for instance) then this will certainly help boost sales of AMD processors. Intel have been ruling for a little too long on speed and reliability.

Oh IBM are very much big boys in the chip market.

I work for a company that designs & makes STB's.

Our latest range of boxs are using some really smart IBM chips for audio/video etc.

I think this is a very good move, AMD doesn't exactly have money coming out of their ears - IBM do.

This gives AMD both some expertise in the market and also some potential capitol - this is a good move if they ever really want to compete with Intel in all markets.

This will definately help both companies, IBM has some very good ideas on the sub 0.09 micron process chips that AMD will NEED, whereas AMD has ALOT of experience designing excuisite chips that are very effecient.

This is a win-win situation.

AMD's only real short coming presently is keeping up with Intel with die process shrinks (.15 to .13 to .09 etc etc.)

I think this will enable AMD to become a MUCH major player within the next 5 years.

I stated a while back on this board that IBM would be the big chip company in 10 years.

Never know

Not only are IBM the a major chip producer (AFAIK, the only hardware supplier, other than Sun, who still makes their own CPUs - with HP dropping everything for Itanium an' all) - they are fast becoming one of the major software houses.

Especially with the recent purchase of Rational, which makes IBM the supplier of some of the best development and testing tools on the planet! I bet Microsoft are kicking themselves over that one - unless they already have a Rational Rose killer in the closet somewhere...?

AndyF