Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheSam

Optical mouse light stays on

Hi everyone

I have an ABIT SR7-8X motherboard and a Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical with a PS/2 adapter.

When I turn off the computer I find that the mouse light is still on and the mouse is active. I could turn this off with a jumper on my other computer but there doesn't seem to be one on this.

I've disabled all the power-on options in the BIOS.

Thanks for you time laugh

Can you plug the mouse in the usb port?

I have an ABIT ST6 with a logitech optical mouse and the led goes off if it's plugged into the usb port.

I had a ps2 optical mouse and the turned on led whn the computer was powered down annoyed me to. I didn't even look for a way to turn it off, cos I use a power On password to turn on my computer.

Hope somebody else knows more bout this.

TheSam,

Which OS are you using? I think whether or not the light stays on depends on the OS (but don't quote me on that!). For a brief while I had a MS Wheelmouse Optical, using it with Win98. The ***** light stayed on and was really annoying. I went back to using a standard MS wheelmouse.

More recently, I decided I really needed an optical mouse and, egged on by various contacts of mine saying that I'd have no trouble with the built-in light with the OS I now use (Win2K), I took the plunge and got myself a new corded Optical Blue Mouse. Its light does indeed go out! Furthermore, this Blue mouse is so much better, much lighter and faster to use.

So, Win98 might be the culprit. Whatever, if you upgrade to a better mouse - the latest Microsoft range are as good, if not better, than Logitech's, in my view - I don't think you'll have that problem.

Is your mouse wireless (i.e., works on batteries)? If it isn't, you may try turning off the computer's power supply from the switch in the back of the case. It worked on a QDI motherboard I had.

Yeh, but that's a bit drastic for TheSam to have to do. He's probably got a tower and it's tucked away under a desk. Be practical!

It goes off when I use it with the usb port, so maybe I should do that.

I have Windows 2000, so that shouldn't be a problem. smile

I guess I have to use the USB port or find some easy way of turning off the power of the computer. Thanks for your help wink

Quote:
TheSam,

Which OS are you using? I think whether or not the light stays on depends on the OS (but don't quote me on that!). For a brief while I had a MS Wheelmouse Optical, using it with Win98. The ***** light stayed on and was really annoying. I went back to using a standard MS wheelmouse.

More recently, I decided I really needed an optical mouse and, egged on by various contacts of mine saying that I'd have no trouble with the built-in light with the OS I now use (Win2K), I took the plunge and got myself a new corded Optical Blue Mouse. Its light does indeed go out! Furthermore, this Blue mouse is so much better, much lighter and faster to use.

So, Win98 might be the culprit. Whatever, if you upgrade to a better mouse - the latest Microsoft range are as good, if not better, than Logitech's, in my view - I don't think you'll have that problem.

I notice that Thesam, and, Tomay Have ABIT MB's. I think that that is much more likely to be the issue. If the system is really shut down, whether by 98 or W2K, shouldn't make a difference, the power to the port should be off. Maybe some MB designs leave the power on? ;( It may be anoying, but, I'm pretty sure it really doesn't do any harm.

Also, I still think that the Logitech mice are better than the MS ones... certainly more durable. wink

Well, TheSam, if you've got Win2K, then if you're thinking of upgrading to a better mouse in the near future, I can't recommend the corded Blue Mouse from Microsoft enough (and I'm very critical!). By comparison, my old wheelmouse is so sluggish. In the UK, the corded Blue sells for about £24 including tax. There's a black one available as well.

Although wireless mice are catching on, they have two disadvantages:

1) weight (they need batteries).

2) the batteries periodically need replacing and you have to watch for signs of malfunction.

3) you've got the transmitter and receiver to install into the motherboard and configure (BIOS).

Stop advertising Micro$oft Packman, cos they have done enough damage laugh .

Anyway. I don't know if you guys use the power on password feature on your computers. Well QDI and Abit motherboards have this feature so that you can turn on your computer just with a keyboard key or a click of your mouse. That it the reason why they leave power in the mouse and keyboard. But it would be nice if you could just turn off this feature for the mouse.

I say if you have USB, then use it. Since I bought my first optical mouse in 1999 I have used nothing but USB, and my mouse experience has been outstanding. With the exception of Logitech's wireless MouseMan optical, which has piss-poor RF performance, I'd say that USB, optical, and possibly wireless mice are the way to go.

Francis

Tomay,

Normally, I'd be the LAST person to gee up Microsoft but I was just expressing an opinion gained from experience with previous mice. I used to work in IT (the research side of it) and former colleagues who used to use Logitech mice have now switched to the latest MS mice, so I'm not the only one who's been impressed. Just because Logitech have produced some good mice in the past doesn't mean that ALL of theirs are good. An open mind is what's needed on these things.

Quote:
Tomay,

Normally, I'd be the LAST person to gee up Microsoft but I was just expressing an opinion gained from experience with previous mice. I used to work in IT (the research side of it) and former colleagues who used to use Logitech mice have now switched to the latest MS mice, so I'm not the only one who's been impressed. Just because Logitech have produced some good mice in the past doesn't mean that ALL of theirs are good. An open mind is what's needed on these things.

An open mind is needed with most all things, IMO.

Quote:
Well, TheSam, if you've got Win2K, then if you're thinking of upgrading to a better mouse in the near future, I can't recommend the corded Blue Mouse from Microsoft enough (and I'm very critical!). By comparison, my old wheelmouse is so sluggish. In the UK, the corded Blue sells for about £24 including tax. There's a black one available as well.

Although wireless mice are catching on, they have two disadvantages:

1) weight (they need batteries).
2) the batteries periodically need replacing and you have to watch for signs of malfunction.
3) you've got the transmitter and receiver to install into the motherboard and configure (BIOS).

1) Hmm, the cordless wheel mouse (not optical) that came packaged with my Logitech Cordless Freedom keyboard weighs just about the same as my previous Logitech Wheelmouse even with batteries (it uses 2 AAA batteries)
2) That's why I use NiMH rechargables, and have 2 spares to swap with asap when they run out (when the spares go in, the flat ones go into the charger, and they swap again when the spares run flat). Wierd thing is the batteries on the cordless keyboard are still the same ones I got when I first bought the keyboard and I haven't had to change them yet while the mouse's batteries had at least 5 recharges already (or is it that a cordless keyboard doesn't consume as much power as a cordless mouse?)
3) The radio receiver that picks up input from both my keyboard and mouse plugs into the PS/2 ports (it has two plugs, one for the keyboard, one for the mouse, which can alternatively be connected to a USB port but I prefer PS/2). Nothing needed on the motherboard side (in fact it's totally plug-and-play with Windows ME and XP, and the standard mouse driver for MSDOS works too).