Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

NetBIOS over TCP/IP and LMHOST Lookup

Hi Guys,

Several times I reported on this forum that my computer is extremely slow when the network adapters in network connection are enable. Finally, today I have managed to find the problem.

In the TCP/IP Setting of the network adapater. Under WINS, if NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled or Default, then the computer becomes very slow. Like starting Internet Explorer takes forever. Now when I disabled it, I have new problems.

I can't see the network computers in Network Places. I cannot browse the other computer like \\computername. The only way I can access the other computer is using \\IP Address.

I then found out that I could use LMHOST.SAM file to configure the IPs. So I defined the file below and imported it.

192.168.0.2 comp1

192.168.0.3 comp2

But still when I do \\comp2 from comp1, i can't access the other computer, it simply says network path not found. Also can't see the computer in Network places.

I am using D-Link 614+ with firware 2.03. Please let me know how to fix these problems. Either I can use the NETBIOS over TCP/IP and why does it become so slow. Is there any config that I am missing due to which the computer becomes very slow. Both comptuer have XP Pro.

Please help!

Thanks

Hi,

I have been to do it using the LMHOST file.

But if someone has concrete reasons, why enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP causes the slowdown, please let me know

I have experienced it on 2 very different machines. One is a 450MHz Intel and other is a 1400MHz AMD machine.

Thx!

OK, first, in order to use \\computername (or Net

work Neighborhood) you *need* to have some for of NetBIOS support. This is done with either using NetBIOS over TCP/IP, or using NetBEUI. Also, for the record, the concept of using Network Neighborhood without a WINS box is the worst thing ever. Although MS put a lot of effort into the master browser concept, there have been SO many issues with it that they did really try getting out from under it with Windows 2000 and the heavy usage of DNS. Also, the LMHOSTS file does not work while the .SAM extension is on it, so that's probably why you're still having problems.

So, to summarize, for ideal network browsing performance using the awful Network Neighborhood method (and WINS is not available, nor DDNS):

1. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

2. Use the reghack to disable searching for scheduled tasks on other systems (just search the forums here for "browse" and my name

3. And, if the IPs are static for each machine, you can use the LMHOSTS file by editing its entries and removing the .SAM extension, then importing it on all the other machines if you like via the import function in the network properties of the machine or a logon script.

This should help you out quite a bit.

Hi clutch,

Delete this key in the registry and reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

I did the above but opening any program, there is huge amount of delay.. specially internet explorer

Opening *any* program? Then this hack would have no impact on that at all. This is to speed up browsing between Windows systems on a network when using Network Neighborhood. And as you can see, IE wouldn't be affected in this case.

Exactly!

So why does it happen that every single program I want to open takes 10-20 secs for opening when NETBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP.

As soon as I disable it, everything runs smooth and fast.

A.R.

No, I haven't

I just checked it in Services. It is started and it is on automatic startup!

A.R.