Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sam42

PS/2 vs USB mouse detection

I've recently gotten a new Logitech MX700 mouse (cordless/optical). When I plug it in as a USB mouse, using latest the Logitech software, it recognizes the mouse correctly. However, when I use this same mouse as a ps/2 mouse it only recognizes it as a plain ps/2 mouse and there doesn't seem to be any way that I can change the drivers to show the correct one. Since I use a PS/2 KVM switch box to go between 3 different computers, I need to use PS/2. Two of the machines are XP and one is Linux.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Thanks.

Sam

Quote:
I've recently gotten a new Logitech MX700 mouse (cordless/optical). When I plug it in as a USB mouse, using latest the Logitech software, it recognizes the mouse correctly. However, when I use this same mouse as a ps/2 mouse it only recognizes it as a plain ps/2 mouse and there doesn't seem to be any way that I can change the drivers to show the correct one. Since I use a PS/2 KVM switch box to go between 3 different computers, I need to use PS/2. Two of the machines are XP and one is Linux.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Thanks.

Sam

Well, I can't be absolutely sure, but Logitech has been doing some really screwed up things with their products. ;( I got a keyboard about a month ago and proceeded to install W2K. In the install you're asked to press F8, but, the darn thing is so software driven that the F8 key isn't recognized. What genius designed that one? ;( Even my wheel mouse has more functions on usb than on ps/2. I believe that this is an effort on Logitech's part to move everyone over to usb, and, to continue to support 'only' basic ps/2 protocol. frown

This is fairly standard. IIRC the MS keyboards with all the extra functions on only work properly if run as USB devices.

If you use them as PS/2 keyboard, then I don't think you can use the extra buttons. Not sure if the function keys still work though....

thats very odd

my logitec wireless ps-2 keyboard plugged right in and all the buttons worked with the default xp drivers

the mouse works both usb and ps2 without installing any drivers

does your bios assign a irq to the usb?

I think I have that keyboard prob too, I have button on the top-left of the board that has an f on it, when clicked an LED comes on and you can use your f1-f12 key's. LED off, and you cant. its really dumb

Quote:
I think I have that keyboard prob too, I have button on the top-left of the board that has an f on it, when clicked an LED comes on and you can use your f1-f12 key's. LED off, and you cant. its really dumb

Yup, that's the one. Just what you don't need to mess with on a new install. Needless to say that's now in my pile of 'unused hardware'. ;(

The new keyboard layout is pretty lame IMHO. One of the keyboards with the new layout is the MS Multimedia keyboard. The removal of the right Winkey is stupid and the new F lock "feature" where F lock must be enabled to use the function keys is stupid. I think this is a steap backwards.

Recently I brought the MS Internet keyboard cos it's still got the normal layout and the keys feel good to type on. I'm happy with it.

P.S. Anyone else reckon that the Logitech keyboards aren't tilted up enough even with the clips on the bottom. That put me off buying them.