Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
arokh

Windows xp Pro Explorer.exe memory

hi to all

i have a problem.

my explorer.exe file takes to much memory when i load up xp or do anything in the kernal. i need to know if there is a regestery tweak to disable or set a max amount of memory that is used by explorer.exe

when i load it is about 15 meg that is to much of memory to be used for explorer.exe

My explorer.exe is using 12MB on Windows XP. 15MB isn't unreasonable.

Also are you new to XP and/or added more memory to your system recently?

I've got a size of 18Mb on my Win XP, so I don't think there's anything wrong.

15Mb is just fine. When I boot I'm usually sitting around 13Mb, and with all my regular tasks going it can peak at more that 25Mb. At this very moment explorer.exe is sitting at 18,840K.

Granted I haven't done all the tweaking of services I could do, but performance is still good, so I don't worry.

well, these registry-extensions for explorer are one thing. However, another thing is the settings of folder-options and the use of skins. if you use skins and enabled all these new fancy web-behaviour (which sucks and ist totally useless imho), then 15-20mb of memory used (or should i say wasted?) by explorer is normal. btw: there is at least one process of explorer always running: the desktop environment itself. it uses about 8mb atm (peak @ 30mb). and all other processes of explorer use about 500kb atm only (peak @ 10mb).

however, i disabled quite a lot of these unnecessary features (even mouse-shadow and such stuff). and finally, what helped a lot is to disable all unwanted services.

gn8 folks!

ACiD StOUt

There are 2 tweaks

• [*]Seperate the desktop/taskbar from the folder windows (this can be found in control panel > folder options > view "launch folder windows in a seperate process".

[*]Seperating the desktop from the taskbar. (this is the one you mentioned AlecStaar).[/list:u]

But, these settings actually run explorer.exe in a seperate process, not a seperate thread, which means they appear in task manager twice. So I don't think this is the cause.

I too have had memory issues with explore, see this thread on ntfs.org, sorry the image is long gone, it was taskmanager showing 40mb RAM, 80mb VM on explorer.exe (which continued to grow into hundreds after a couple of weeks uptime).

However, I don't seem to have this issue anymore.. it could have been any software or drivers I used at the time which integrated with explorer in some way...

Btw, good to see you still here AlecStaar, I remember you from my first post here as an NT newbie, when you gave me a very comprehensive answer wink Since then I've become known as a bit of an expert in XP smile

I've been away for quite a while since.. but it's good to let people know I'm still alive now and then hehe. Last time I was here you were leaving ntcompatible and going to xperience.. what happened there?

Quote:
I guess it did not read that way...

sorry, my mistake, of course explorer is threaded since otherwise a folder window would lock when you pressed a button on the quicklaunch *slaps self*

Quote:
you can NEVER be expert enough!

very true.

Quote:
See, I had a falling out with another admin, & it was personal!

damn. had a feeling it was something like that, anyway good to see you back!

insaNity

Explorer is dead... long live Program Manager! laugh

...No really!

Using the standard Explorer.exe on my XP PC took about 24mb of RAM on boot and countinued to bloat from then on, having to restart your shell multiple times a day to recover memory is no fun... so thats when I switched to Progman.exe and re-discovered this wonderous blast from the past! laugh

Now my system boots and shuts down at the MS boasted levels (30 and 10secs respectively) and runs lightening quick. On boot task mananger shows 50Mb memory usage... nice n slim.

With program manger set up how I like it I have one click access to every program I'll ever need and at peak usage it takes up less than 5Mb of virtual & page file memory combined! (less than 1Mb atm). A definate improvement over Explorer's 30Mb and then perhaps that much again for PF space.

With all that free RAM I can still enjoy the XP Metallic theme, with full effects without the bloat, slowdown or continuous memory loss. PLUS Program Manger (and File Manager, nicked from my NT4 PC) never forget their window positions or file viewing preferences and allow you resume your next session at the same folder you were in last time, how on earth did we manage without 'save settings on exit' and 'save settings now'?? invaluable.

File management is done via 'iexplore.exe -nohome' -using the folders pane (like the classic 2k look and about the same memory usage) and winfile.exe... so small and suprisingly useful. NT Taskmanger covers the rest.

It takes some time to get used to and set up... but if you want a lightening fast desktop experience that still looks good with minimal memory usage, try it... its more than worth the effort.

Since my last post I've tried a few alternative shells, and I found one I like called GeoShell.

It does pretty much everything explorer does (and more), is open source, supports various plugins, and is *lightweight*. Right now it is using 1.7mb of ram and the most it has ever used is 10mb.

You can configure it how you like it - I've got mine pretty similar to how I had explorer. The 'GeOCommandTime' plugin rocks!

Warning: GeoShell requires a fair bit of documentation reading and registry editing to get working and configured to be of practical use.

I'm still using explorer as my file manager (there are others but they aren't much fun) which is ok because it is not running all the time, and still starts instantly.

APK, my quote of '50Mb on boot' was referring to the 'Commit Charge' value at the bottom of the NT Taskmanger.

I use the Internet Explorer's folder functionality because I am used to the layout... plus fast as it is winfile doesn't seem to support long filenames.

err afaik "Internet Explorer's folder functionality" _is_ windows explorer. when you type a local address it morphs into explorer with similar window layout.

this means you're using it the same way I use it with geoshell - just as a filemanager.

A correction of my last post the file names are fine... i was looking in the 'msdos name' column... fool ;(

functionality wise everything else seems to be ok, im still using the IE/Folders view for setting security and file associatiions becuase its far more intuative, and of course the thumbnail view for my large picture folders. smile

Since it works fine on my machine, I wonder why you are having problems?

Dynamic NTFS volumes on Windows XP Pro SP1

File Manager taken from NT4 Wks PC SP6a (I don't know whether they updated it in later SP releases).

WINFILE.INI -> %SYSTEMROOT%

WINFILE.EXE -> %SYSTEM32%

WINFILE.HLP -> %SYSTEMROOT%\HELP

WINFILE.CNT -> %SYSTEMROOT%\HELP

I've applied most of the NTFS tweaks that came with your 'APKWIN2KTOOLS' package aswell, and I don't use any unusual security settings on files or folders.

I'm already a fairly regular visitor to your tuneup/security site, although I don't think I will use many of the tweaks listed until I get a broadband connection.... still on 56k here frown

As for your tools package, I'm impressed. I mainly use the registry cleaner and RAM Charge tool (Sooo useful). Ah talking of which, how do I get it to remember it's settings? I set it up and minimize it, but on next boot it is back to defaults.

I took a look at the file finder too... now you mention it, its alot like file manager (I grew up on that one too smile ) let me know if you develop it any futher and I'll give it the File Manager test. laugh