Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

UT 2003 feels like Quake 3.....I think NOT!

Over at Bjorn3d.com they think UT 2003 was a slight disappointment, which I agree, and they say this because the game feels like Quake 3. Quake 3 is better than UT and UT 2003 because it requires SKILL. I cannot see any relation between UT2003 and Quake 3, if someone can please post comments here.

Quake 3 is a great game, good weapon balance, excellent map design, and great map flow and good game speed. It also requires good mouse skills and the such. UT/UT2003 in my opinion don't.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=96&p=194

I agree... I play a mod for Quake 3 called Promode and it requires more skill than standard Quake 3... I went to a lan party a few weeks ago, where UT was the the only game... I played, and had a good time, but UT seems like more of an arcade game than a serious shooter.

quake 3 requires skill? - yes, yes it does, but to me so does ut2003 if you want to be good - in iehtr game u can simply grab a gun and shot like amd - but i think alot of ut player could whip the ground with q3 players as they game play is FAr faster and requires you to react faster.

quake 3 orignal game play was TOOOOOOOOOO slow for me, that is why i liked ut better, and ut2003 u can set the "game" speed" to a faster speed as it's defualt is about the same as q3 speeds.

to each their own, but i prefer ut by far over q3.

The original UT is still a good game and I like it, especially with bot play. UT2003 I don't like, it just doesn't feel the same as UT and it doesn't feel like Quake3. In my opinion I like UT over UT 2003, but Quake3 is still the best.

Unreal II was supposed to ship in Novemeber but it got delayed until this year, hopefully it will arrive this month.

Personally, I played the demo of Quake 3 and didn't find it all that exciting. I don't like the game period, not sure why.

in Unreal Tournament you have different damage zones(limbs .5x, body 1x, head 2x), in Quake III you take as much damage from a bullet to the toe as to the head. QIII feels lumpy hulking and slow, with really loud colors, UT looks and reacts like real life.

i just didn't like QIII. In fact, no one in my tech class liked Q3, we all played UT all the time. And as for UT2003? One word: downgraded.

Of all the FPS I have played through uni and after in either multi-player or single with bots, the bots in the original Unreal were f..king nasty mofo biaches. Only Quake1 reaper bots could touch them in sheer flesh-tearing capabilities.

Speaking of Quake1, when ID released the source code one of my code-monkey mates got hold of it and re-wrote the nail-gun ammo (nails obviously) into wasp mentality with environmental detection (ie they didn't ever hit walls). When we played that game there was nothing better than unloading 300 rounds of nails into the air and watching them seek out and swarm towards an opponent, watching as they shredded the head, neck and torso of a hapless foe.

After that success, he then went on and made the rockets foe-seeking (again with environmental awareness). If you remember the speed and reload of Quake1 rockets, you will know that the first person to get the rocket laucher then owned the level.

Those were the days.

I have played since DOOM and I was disappointed with Quake3. UT2003 is a lot more fun but the maps are too big I think. I dislike both and still play Quake2 CTF when I do play...old school. I don't care for the cartoonfigures in the newer games. Even half-life counterstrike is better than the newer stuff. I am waiting for QUAKE 4! I hope it is not a disappointment smile

Quake3's bots aren't nearly as inteligent as UT's counterparts. UT's bot skills change several factors of the bots characteristics, whereas Q3's is basically just aim accuracy. That and Q3's bots aren't too bright when it comes to CTF or other activities that involve more than seek and destroy. Bots feel like bots in Q3. However, in UT they feel like players, I've often mistaken them for friends only to find out after smack talk that it was a bot I just offed. shocked for me, but icon14.gif for UT. Also, the unreal engine has excellent net code.

I at first was disappointed with UT2003, but grew to like and realize why the changes were made. Also, for those who like the original UT, IIRC there is a mutator with one of the bonus packs to revert settings to classic UT.

Basically I feel UT's a much better game than Q3. Whatever trump cards Q3 had over UT were lost with UT2003.

UT2004!

yes it is coming out - it is a add-on more so, al the patches, more textures and such! just so much they are making a new one out of ti.

Quote:
I am waiting for QUAKE 4! I hope it is not a disappointment smile

too bad it's not being developed by id software

I love the feel of Q1, Q3, and UT2003 (Q2 sucked, and no I don't care what anybody else thinks smile and UT wasn't all that smooth) myself. However, I am into Colin McRae 3 right now and I am waiting for Midnight Club to show up on PC.