Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytezboy

IE 6.0 SP1 hangs when IE POPUPS a prompt for a username &amp

I didn't have this problem until I installed service pack 3. Running the latest IE 6.0 SP1 with the cumulative update and SP3. I decided to install SP3 to complete my windows update and got this problem. IE would just hang there and I would have to close it, a prompt comes up telling me that it's not responding. This only happens whenever IE popus a window asking me for a username and password when browsing and FTP (prompting for a username and/or password, doesn't come up), the popup never shows up..IE simply hangs, stops responding. I tried reparing IE, instaling it, even using the regmon? utility to make sure all files are correct. I had this problem on another machine running the same OS and browser. I hope there's a fix available because I don't want to use Netscape everytime I need to go to a site that requires me to login. Thanks in advance.

Does it respond again after a while?

I had this bug, and it's finally been sorted! With either SP3 or another of the recent Windows Updates.

Outlook Express also took ages to load.

P.

Quote:
Does it respond again after a while?

I had this bug, and it's finally been sorted! With either SP3 or another of the recent Windows Updates.

Outlook Express also took ages to load.

P.

I didn't wait to see if it'll respond, will do that and see if what happens. smile When you had this problem, did the window come up at all asking for username and password?

3 instances of the "bug" (if it was all one bug).

1. Entering data in the first field of a form was fine, but switching to the next field would cause IE to hang for ~2 minutes. After that I could complete the rest of the form with no problems. This tended to occur with password forms, but also entering posts in forums, and the occassional other place.

2. Clicking on an HTTP link which required a login would cause IE to hang for again ~2 minutes, before the window finally opened to allow me to enter username/password.

3. Running Outlook Express (msimn.exe). The program would register in task manager, but the splash window wouldn't show until the ol' ~2 minutes had passed, after which the actual program window loaded up in an instant, and OE was fine otherwise.

I waited for the prompt to come up and it didn't..waited for well over 2 minutes, had to end task as usual. Did you install all the critical updates and the win2000 updates or just the critical?

Everything on WindowsUpdate, besides "Microsoft .NET Framework" and "Windows Media Player 7.1".

I've just installed IIS to try and test some ASP locally, so I've also got the "Q327696: Internet Information Services Security Roll-up Package" critical update to install for that.

I could give you a list of all the updates I have installed, but all I know is that the bug was fixed after all of them, so I can't be of much help as to tracking down which fix it was that altered.

Just as an aside, do you use any distributed computing projects, and Office 2000 or XP. I didn't have the time to fully track down the bug, but my best guess was one of these programs causing it.

Last I checked there was nothing remotely helpful in the KB, although I only used the Microsoft search of it.