Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LongDistancePaddler

XP falls over a lot

When bringing up my new system that has XP home this frequently takes more than one attempt before it actually succeeds. Once it is up it usually stays up but not always. I send a status report to microsoft and they say that the problem is caused by a device driver but can't say which one. If they can't say which one how do they know it is a device driver?

I have a canon BJC 265SP for which the canon driver is apparently not certified to run with XP. This is odd because canon thinks it is. I have deleted the printer fropm the system but not disconneted it so XP may well have added it back without asking for all I know.

How do I investigate this problem? Do I just take it back to the man who built the computer and ask him to trouble shoot. Being Christmas time he is closed but will be back before the end of the week.

Any suggestions? I would liek to get this working to make my wife happy. It's her system you see. Fixing this problem should remove the pain from my butt.

Quote:
When bringing up my new system that has XP home this frequently takes more than one attempt before it actually succeeds. Once it is up it usually stays up but not always. I send a status report to microsoft and they say that the problem is caused by a device driver but can't say which one. If they can't say which one how do they know it is a device driver?

Could you give some specific details about the computer hardware? 'Cause I've seen a very similar error to this on a PC I built (nForce motherboard).

Xiven

What are we looking for here?

The processor is a 2.20 ghz pentium IV. It has 256 megabytes of 266 megahertz RAM

The sound is on the motherboard there is a 64 mb eagle video card.

I have a DVD dirve and a CD-RW burner [liteon].

There is a canon BJC 265 SP connected but I have removed it from the control panel as the system compalined that the canon drivers were not signed for XP.

I also have a Lexmark Z53 configured as a USB printer. It is giving me problems in other ways.

I don't know the name of the motherboard off the top of my but I can find out if this is the sort of detail that you need.

The system has a 19 inch monitor, which is really nice when watching DVD videos. I have seen a couple of episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We gave our kids Shrek and the 1st Harry Potter movie for Christmas so I expect that we will be watching them sometime soon. We will enjoy that.

Back to the problem. Is there any other detail you were looking for?

My PC is also custom built but not by me. I make good cakes and am generally a wizard in the kitchen but despite the fact that I work as a software engineer during the day at night I do not turn into a hardware engineer. I can install cards and drivers and things like that but building a whole PC would be beyond me.