Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrestine

Win2K Event Log Error (RE: Slow Shutdown...)

Experiencing VERY slow shutdown in newly installed Win2K on older AMD Slot-A system. Checked Event Log for Applications and found following message for every shutdown instance recorded:

"Event Type: Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 12/28/2002

Time: 8:21:56 AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: ASUS-K7M

Description:

Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195))."

I've tried all the popular tweaks to the registry to speed up shutdown and none of them worked. Short of a "Repair Reinstall", does anyone have any ideas for a fix? Thanx in advance.

Mike, Sr.

Well I got a couple of things for you regarding that event log error number.

1. Try recreating a new user profile ... the problem lies with UsrClass.dat and UsrClass.dat.log in that profile.

2. Disable services that might be keeping the machine from shutting down (in other words, running actively) such as Nvidia Driver Helper, and or Virus Scanner Software.

3. Upgrade to SP3

4. Set Windows Management Instrumentation to Manual (has worked for me)

5. Open the MMC and add the Group Policy snap-in, then open the Group Policy editor. Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon and find the policy "Maximum retries to unload and update user profile." Do not click "Disable" nor "Not Configured" as that just will use the default of 60. Rather, lower the # of tries to unload downward from 60. I figured, "If you can't unload it, don't bother trying", so I set mine to 0 and shutdown is (finally!) instantaneous once again.

6. There are two Microsoft hotfixes, Q281267 and Q285192.

Woah, hope this helps you out !!

Hi All,

Found a fix via a response to same question as this one posted on Amdmb.com forum. Solution is to remove PreSp4 Win2k Update Q329170. Works like a charm now. Hope this helps some others. Thanx for all the help from everyone here.

Mike, Sr.

Thanx for the reference, Alec. Glad I was able to play a part in the solution. Think MS knows about this one yet? Appears to be a universal cross platform problem.

Mike, Sr.