Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nick601

WinDVD Create Overlay Failed - Again!!

hi

i posted a thread on here a few weeks ago about Win DVD raising a create overlay failiure when launching.

I managed to fix this problem before by turning on the direct draw and another option in the direct x diag program.

now when i come to change the option again the status says "not available" so im stuck!!

i have tried lowering the screen resolution and colour but this doesnt make any difference.

any options would be good as i have got loads of dvds for christmas and would like to watch them lol!

nope still no luck im not sure what to do, i have uninstalled all of the programs that could be of fault, WinDVD, Direct X and my ATI Radeon 7500 Graphics card drivers

what else can i try??

ok i fixed it!!

i solved it by opening up netmeeting and closing it again as sometimes if netmeeting crashes it does not shut down some direct X elements properly or something!

it could be - to be honest i havent used Netmeeting much so im not really sure about how it works, basically all i know is that everytime i use it it crashes on me which obviously results in the program not shutting down properly - anyway all fixed now smile

My WinDVD5 player stopped playing DVD files (even though I think it still played DVD disc, not sure about that) and every VOB file I tried playing, WinDVD5's player opened up and prompted "Create Overlay Failed. Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again.".

What worked for me was unticking my unticking "Enable write combining" (XPH/SP2/Sony/RADEON IGP 345M) as found display properties>setting>advanced>troubleshoot tab (and of course the required re-booting) and now my WinDVD5's again plays VOB's.