Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stoffer

Saving your setting... takes very long time

The last couple of days my windows 2000 fully updated have started to become very slow at shutting down.

It just stands at saving your settings for about a minute or 2. Anyone know about away to make this go faster.

Check out http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1 for tweaks.

For your problem I have two:

Tweak #8 - Automatically Kill Programs At Shutdown

don't you hate it when, while trying to shut down, you get message boxes telling you that a

program is still running? Making it so that Windows automatically kills applications running is a

snap. Simply navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop directory in the Registry,

then alter the key AutoEndTasks to the value 1.

Note: the key 'AutoEndTasks' might not exist. If not, simply create it with a value of 1. To disable

the AutoEndTask feature, simply change the value back to 0.

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1

Tweak #3 - Shutdown on speed

By altering a few registry settings, you can dramatically decrease the amount of time it takes for

Windows to shut down. To do this, first open up the registry editor and navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\

Once there, find the value HungAppTimeout and make sure it is set to 5000 (that's the default).

Now, in the same folder, look for the value WaitToKillAppTimeout. Set this to 4000 (the default is

20000).

Lastly, navigate to the folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\

and change the value WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 4000 as well. Another thing that helps

speeding up shutting down is going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and then

setting the NVidia Driver Help service to Manual.

Hope it helps.

ehh, I noticed that the article is made for WinXP. I got 2000.

Isnt is possible that im going to mess something up by adding those registry settings, cause Win2k is older.

Anyone have any experience with these tweaks under Win2k.

Quote:
ehh, I noticed that the article is made for WinXP. I got 2000.
Isnt is possible that im going to mess something up by adding those registry settings, cause Win2k is older.
Anyone have any experience with these tweaks under Win2k.

I don't see anything that's going to 'hurt' your W2K setting here. If it makes you feel any better, I just applied the registry settings to my system... Seems to work fine.

Good Tip Tomay smile .

Quote:
I added all the changes, but it didnt help:( I really cant figure this one out.

That being the case, you must go back to basics. You say that this happened in the last few days. If that is so, what did 'you' do (add programs, change settings, etc) just before this slow shutdown began? Think back... systems really don't change without imput.

Weeee i fixed the problem.

It turned out that it is the Q329170 hotfix from winupdate that give these symptoms. I was told this at another forum where i asked too, and after uninstalling the hotfix windows shuts down in a matter of seconds like it used too.

So nice that Microsoft releases "hotfixes" which decreases performance.

Well thank you all for the help anyway.

alecstaar-

i was actually the one that advised stoffer about this hotfix issue at the other board,as i had experienced it as well.your advice is good, however can i assume you haven't had this problem?setting the pagefile to autoclear on shutdown has nothing on this pause..affected machines literally sit there with no activity whatsoever for well over a minute,it's extremely annoying.

as for better safe than sorry,well maybe so,but this update really doesn't seem to even apply to the average single pc or home network user unless you plan on hacking your own security settings.microsoft themselves say in order to expoit the vulnurability the attacker needs to be logged on and have access already,from what i've read this may be a problem in a larger network with multiple users,some who may want to change their own or someone elses security settings,but i really think for the average user this can be safely forgone until microsoft realizes the error and "fixes the fix" smile

XP they say has this fix incorporated into SP1...well on my dual boot xp/2k system my XP with sp1 doesn't have this problem shutting down so obviously there is something slightly wrong with whatever this update does to win 2000....

Quote:
Weeee i fixed the problem.
It turned out that it is the Q329170 hotfix from winupdate that give these symptoms. I was told this at another forum where i asked too, and after uninstalling the hotfix windows shuts down in a matter of seconds like it used too.
So nice that Microsoft releases "hotfixes" which decreases performance.
Well thank you all for the help anyway.

I just finished up[censored] my win2k and I'm having the same problem with the "saving your settigs" long pause when shutting down. I went into add/remove programs and didn't realize that I installed the Q329170 hotfix (I had previously installed the other Pre-SP4 hotfixes). My windows used to shutdown much quicker, gonna uninstall it. Thanks guys for the info. smile

This looks to be a common problem. I didnt have such a big problem with the long shutdown time. My problem was that my PC's behaviour had changed from what it was before.

When that happens, I keep thinking whats wrong, which is very annoying.

Some REALLY GOOD information here! Also solved my problem as well. I was worried that it was security fixes to my IIS. WHEW!

THANK YOU! laugh