Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dave.green1

Direct X 9

Well.. I think it worth it laugh

Maybe it just me :x , but I did noticed some changes in performance

2 Questions.

1. Do you have a DirectX 9 graphics card?

2. Do you have any games that make use of DirectX 9 API's?

If you can answer yes to either of these questions then go for it.

If you answer no to both them really there is no point.

How can you tell if your graphics card uses directx 9 ??

I have win 2000 pro with a Matrox G400 32MEG agp card

Thanks

1) No, I don't have a DirectX 9 compatible video card

2) No, I don't have any games that make use of DirectX 9 APIs

But despite those facts, (now I'm quoting Microsoft) "(...) it does not hurt to install DirectX 9.0. Some of the new functionality built into DirectX 9.0 may even enhance the quality and performance of your existing titles. Additionally, many game demos do not come with DirectX, so you may need to install DirectX 9.0 if you plan to play the latest demos."

And that is what I was referring to.

Quote:
1) No, I don't have a DirectX 9 compatible video card
2) No, I don't have any games that make use of DirectX 9 APIs
But despite those facts, (now I'm quoting Microsoft) "(...) it does not hurt to install DirectX 9.0. Some of the new functionality built into DirectX 9.0 may even enhance the quality and performance of your existing titles. Additionally, many game demos do not come with DirectX, so you may need to install DirectX 9.0 if you plan to play the latest demos."
And that is what I was referring to.

Actually...

I've read that playing internet/LAN games that use directplay (directx 9) with people with older (directx 8 ) directplay builds can have trouble connecting... Also, it seems on Windows XP with DirectX 9, that there's a bug with Windows Messenger.

Quote:
I've read that playing internet/LAN games that use directplay (directx 9) with people with older (directx 8 ) directplay builds can have trouble connecting...

I think I saw something about it in DirectX FAQ

Quote:
How can you tell if your graphics card uses directx 9 ??

I have win 2000 pro with a Matrox G400 32MEG agp card

Thanks

ATI RADEON 9700 & 9500 - They are the only DirectX 9 cards on the market.

Quote:
I've read that playing internet/LAN games that use directplay (directx 9) with people with older (directx 8 ) directplay builds can have trouble connecting...

Just a followup that I did in fact experience this first hand, with Age of Empires 2.

Auch!! ;( I've got to addmit that MS makes superior mices, but otherwise.. Windows is good as a gaming platform, but for developers.. no, I don't think so.. One more thing and let me put it this way: If I had a server, I had to be crazy to let it run on Windows platform.

You've got to addmit that Windows really needs permissions. smile

Quote:
It's got them man, bigtime in the Pro & Server models (NT/2k/XP Workstation & Pro + server varieties)...

I was talking about file permissions.. like read/write/execute..

Quote:
I guess... NASDAQ runs their financial networks & trading servers (ALL, not just webservers) on MS Operating System of Win32 nature. Seems to do well for a 24x7 HIGH TRANSACTION environs!

And I feel deeply sorry for them..

Quote:
I like the Win32 API, alot... flexible, powerful, & easy to use pretty much!

Well.. you don't have to use Windows when you're programming win32 applications, do you?

Quote:
* I take it you're a Linux/Unix fan, nothing wrong with that...

As a matter of fact I'm not.. I really hate Linux when it comes to configure something.. It can be a real pain in the a**

Quote:
You've got that... disk & folder level, down to files levels, by user. Using the NTFS filesystem & Explorer, rightclick on any diskdrive, folder OR file & see the SECURITY tab from the PROPERTIES item of those entities.

And what about FAT32??

Quote:
No, not on Fat32 OR Fat16...

Exactly! Now, what is the most common windows version around?
I think it says alot about how seriously MS takes when it comes to security..
Quote:
If you're serious about security, you utilize NTFS (as well as recovery) & it is more efficient diskspace use-wise (regarding clusterslack) as well on disks larger than 500mb upwards vs. the others (fat types) & faster fileseeks wise as well on those same disk sizes.

* NTFS truly is a fine filesystem in many regards, security being one of them!

Enough of advertising laugh

PS: Stuff I really care about is on my ext2 partition wink
PPS: I think we're just a bit off topic here.. someone can get angry smile

Well.. my guess would be the one with FAT32 file system, wheather it's 98 98se or Me.. Though, you're right, more and more are moving to XP.

But still, windows security is far from perfect.. For instance, how many viruses are there for windows and linux? And the important question is: How come the result is what it is??

I know NTFS is good, the only thing I hate is that you've got to be careful when you trying to format. Heard that fdisk doesn't see NTFS..

Quote:
* No anger here: I was only trying to show you there is, in fact SECURITY and filesystem security in Disks, Folders, & Files... all logical filesystem entities using NTFS... & there is!

I had actually other thing in mind.. This section is (was smile ) kind of about DirectX 9.0 and we're talking about NTFS, FAT32, windows and other things.

Quote:
Out of the box? Yea... no doubt, & even if tweaked, there is still dangers, no doubt about it!

This is what I'm talking about.. MS should spend more time (money) on security development.
Quote:
Well, there is more users of Windows Os as well... it's a numbers game really, you're going to get more occurences & awarenesses of it because of the greater # of Windows users basically.

To be honest, I don't think it's the reason..
Quote:
That too, can be controlled though thru regular Windows Updates (another great service offered by MS that is EASY to use) & a decent AntiVirus program kept up to date.

If only it was that great as you describe.. I remember one time, MS spent 2 month to fix a security hole in IE or maybe it was Outlook, can't remenber, but the point is: This is just awful!!
Quote:
Personally? I set associations with .wsh & .vbs type scripting scraps to notepad.exe here on my home box to disable many of those, & also use AntiVirus to guard against macro virus document autoexec infections.

Once again, MS should have taken care about this not you.. One of the reasons I switched browser and mail program

Quote:
They are now, I think it is like Job #1 there... they even put off the development of much of their research into creating new interfaces, like the 3D type I did a post on here recently!

Heard of it, hope it's not another PR trick wink
Quote:
What's awful is the dorks that create macro virus really... the software could be MUCH better but when you turn off those features to make yourself more secure, you actually cripple alot.

I'm not defending anyone here, and I what you to understand it, but in a way , don't you think it helps to develope a better software?
Quote:
Question:

Does Linux ext2 have encryption & file-by-file compression like NTFS does?

(I know it does not have journalling like NTFS does currently, but ext3 will add this... I do not currently use Linux & am wondering if it has compression & encryption attributes you can use & set on it like NTFS has in it natively)

I'd be honest with you, I'm new to Linux and really not in position to answer this question smile