Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
s0l1d

Performance of DX9 with GF4

I'm just wondering, what kind of performance increase (or decrease) would DirectX 9 have when used with a system that has GeForce 4 series or Radeon 8500 in WinXP?

I know that Radeon 9700 and the upcoming GeForce FX are built with DirectX 9 in mind. But how would earlier cards benefit (if any) with the DirectX 9 upgrade?

Yeah I am wondering as well. At the Rage3D computer forums, Radeon 8500 users have reported some loss in 3DMark performance, but the real test comes with games and real game performance, I guess you just have install this stuff and find out.

After reading the article, I guess I'll wait a bit long before installing it on my computer

I have an issue. Asheron's Call 2 crashes at startup with DX9 installed. I removed it (via System Restore) and AC2 works again.

Well of course you got a performance increast with a Radeon 9700 - It is a DirectX 9 graphics card.

As the GF4 is in no way, shape or form a DX9 card you should see no difference between DX8.1 & DX9.

I would wait until nVidia releases some DX9 optimized drivers. But you don't need to have a dx9 gfx card to use dx9, it's just that things will be done in software.

I got a 400 point 3dmark increase on my radeon 8500 with dx9 and the ver 3.0 drivers. I also got a small speed increase with my GF4 4200, both of them in Win2k.

No issues or problems of any form with any games. As far as any increase will ever go with the GF4, I'm sure it won't amount to much - the GF4 was designed for DX7 after all.

These articles with make believe problems come out EVERY SINGLE TIME anything of this nature is released. They said the same stupid stuff when they released IE5, Win2k, DX8, IE6, WinXP, Media Player 8 . . . and they will probably say the same thing about every single release that M$ will ever have in the future. These are the same idiots who first said that you would never be able to play a game on Win2k . . .

Quote:
I would wait until nVidia releases some DX9 optimized drivers. But you don't need to have a dx9 gfx card to use dx9, it's just that things will be done in software.

yes - but u also need a card that can process the directx 9 extra code and features that are not in direct x 8.* - henece why a big thing about new cards is what version of direct x they can handle - if it was all in software then the 9700 pro they would not make a big deal that it can handle direct x 9.

THe only issue I have seen is with Command and Conquer: Generals Beta Test.

They are aware of the issue

Great. Stable as hell.

Just working out the balance issues now.

THe Network code seems to be pretty good, I connect to Europe, the Mainland US, and Asia at great speeds.

Game is fun too. 3 Very Distinct factions, all with some pretty cool abilities.

CHina can mass produce troops, and have nukes.

USA has best airforce and tanks.

GLA uses all kinda of seedy tactics.

Can't wait for this one to come out Feb 2003.

All I have played for a month or so

I have Final ver I haven't had any problem with it.

Quote:
As far as any increase will ever go with the GF4, I'm sure it won't amount to much - the GF4 was designed for DX7 after all.

The GF4 MX series are based on DX7 but the Ti series are based on DX8.1