Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dave.green1

Services in XP

Is there any way to configure which services start with each user?

Here is an example.

I have my account, which is admin. I use it for normal use. I would like to create a gaming account where no services start except RPC, Plug & Play and DHCP client.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks guys.

Services are designed to be system-wide so it doesn't matter who logs on or if anyone is logged on, they should always load.

Also IMHO, if your system is semi-decent, unloading system services won't yield much of a performence gain.

I disable any uneccesary services, and only the absolute ones that require XP to run.

You can set a lot of them to manual to only start when called on.

Probably the best bet

Quote:
Services are designed to be system-wide so it doesn't matter who logs on or if anyone is logged on, they should always load.

Also IMHO, if your system is semi-decent, unloading system services won't yield much of a performence gain.

I completely disagree; they always should not be loaded. It's more about security -"Champion_R".

The easiest way that I've done this is with a batch file. At www.sysinternals.com -they have a great command-line tool for controlling Services called SC (for XP and Win2k). This nice tool will also pause services (not native from the command line). I have found this tool more useful on Win2k servers, but there is a place for it too on XP systems.

Quote:
Quote:

I completely disagree; they always should not be loaded. It's more about security -"Champion_R".

The easiest way that I've done this is with a batch file. At www.sysinternals.com -they have a great command-line tool for controlling Services called SC (for XP and Win2k). This nice tool will also pause services (not native from the command line). I have found this tool more useful on Win2k servers, but there is a place for it too on XP systems.

Oops, the tools is not from www.sysinternals.com. It's a MS resources kit tool.

Quote:

He's not statting that they should always be loaded. He's stating that the services will load the same no matter what user you are using unless you specify a specific user account. By default all NT4/2K/XP services use SYSTEM.

dave.green1

Actually there is a way to load different services. However, not in the form of different users, rather different hardware profile.

Follow this link, http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm and it will show you exactly how you can do that.

That website, http://www.blkviper.com/index.html also has many in depth explanation of all the services. It's a great site.

Quote:

In this case we were discussing performence not security. Also most of the default services don't pose a security risk as long as common sense is applied.

Follow this link, it is the Deviant PC - Ultimate guide to services. Pretty useful, though before you disable any service a system restore should be done.

Quote:

Also most of the default services don't pose a security risk as long as common sense is applied.

That is not true, i would not call UPnP, and remote registry non-security risks. I know that I would love to have my registry remotely accessed by default. Most users don't even have a clue what services are let alone which ones do what. So performance might be an issue but security is more important to me than 5 extra FPS in Quake 3.