Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Borutra

WinXP can't connect to network shares after a certain time

I'm using Windows 2000 Server (as a PDC and the only domain controller) on my network. I have Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients.

When I log on to the domain with a XP client all the network shares (and printers) work OK for a certain amount of time (I don't know exactly how long 30min-1hour) but after that they stop working. If I try to connect to a network share I get this error message:

The system detected a possible compromise in security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you.

If I log out and then log in again, everything works again. I don't have any problems with NT and 2000 clients and the domain server itself is available all the time.

Any ideas? Thx in advance,

Borut

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer to go by? This being the PDC as well as the client machine

Have you tried adding the machine back into the domain?

The event log doesn't show anything. I trided joining the domain again but it didn't help either.

I too am experiencing this same issue.

I have a network of 70 win2k clients, 1 win2k server SP4 PDC, 1 win2k server SP4 BDC.

We recently had about 5 XP computers added to the network and every single one is timing out its connections to the servers after about 20-30 minutes. This is obviously a flaw in XP, or some kind of extra security feature not noted.

I was able to find one setting in the group policy's on each system that was an autodisconnect for idle server connections, but even after setting those to not time-out, the systems still have issues.

I hope this helps in finding a solution to this issue.

Windows 2000 Server will drop idle connections after a

specified timeout period, which by default is 15 minutes.

The default time-out period can be changed on the Windows

2000 Server by running the following command from a command prompt:

net config server /autodisconnect:30

See How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...;NoWebContent=1