Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff123df2

cannot login

I have a windows nt workstation service pack 6 computer, and

a windows 2000 server service pack 3 computer.

We also have a domain setup with active directory.

when the windows nt machine tries to logon to the domain i get the following error:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's

computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on

that account is incorrect.

I double checked the password on the server and confirmed that it is correct. I also went to the microsoft website and did some searching on this issue. I found a resolution to the problem here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q175024

However, the resolution requires a netdom utility located on the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit Supplement 2. I dont have the netdom utility or the resource kit.

I was wondering if anybody knew of an alternative solution to overcome this problem. Thanks in advance for your time.

you have only to reinsert the pc in the domain, the utility NETDOM do this in console mode, you can use the gui mode

go to yours nt 4

go in system proprieties

change the domain to workgroup

reset the pc

reinsert the pc in your domain

I followed the directions above by changing the windows nt workstation computer to workgroup. After i joined a workgroup I restarted the computer and logged on locally again. Then I re-joined the domain. I rebooted the computer once again and tried to logon to the domain. It gave me the same error message.

I checked my event viewer and it has netlogon errors, event id 3210.

Then I checked under system properties--->user profiles, I found a profile in there called "<account unknown>". I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with the problem. I deleted this profile and tried to logon to the domain but that didnt help.

I'm still not sure how to go about solving the problem. Please help.

Do you have "Domain Admin" permissions on your username?

If you don't, you will need a "Domain Admin" to come and put your machine back on the Domain.

Even though it was there, it likes you to have permission to re-enter.

I dont have domain admin privledges with the user that i was logged on locally with. I was logged on locally as administrator of the windows nt workstation box.

but when i made the computer a member of the domain, i check the box at the bottom that say: "Create a user account in the domain.

this option will create an account on the domain for this computer. You must specify a user account with the ability to add workstations to the domain above."

i put administrator

and the password for the domain administrator. (not the local one)

then it said welcome to domain "Local" (the name of my domain) wink

after i did that i rebooted and tried to logon to the domain local, and it still gives me that error message.

Any ideas?

NT finds domain controllers through 1. Local cache 2. Wins 3. Netbios broadcasts ... ya sure everything is running fine from that stand point? DNS ? ... It also helps to add subnets to your AD Sites and Services if such is the case.

www.eventid.net to help ya with further Event IDs

When we encounter this error at work, it has to do with name resolution and the ability for workstations to find network services thereby pointing to DCs.

Everyone above though has stated correct answers as well, Im just extending the possibilities.

It obtains all the correct info via dhcp from the server perfectly.

the server is also its dns server. I'm posting here right now using the windows nt workstation itself. So its seeing the internet and its also accessing shares on the domain controller perfectly fine.

thats why this is all so weird. I've tried everything stated above except that netdom utility. Which seems to me like it would be the only way to fix the problem at this point.

I went into active directly and deleted the computer from there also, then i joined a workgroup, rebooted, joined the domain (not logged onto it yet), didnt reboot, logged off locally and tried to logon to the domain and couldnt. Then i rebooted and tried again and couldnt logon. Of course everytime i rejoin the domain the computer is always back in active directory under "computers". I tried right clicking the computer in active directory and selecting "reset account". and then doing the same above steps on the local winnt workstation, didnt work. It still gives me the same message everytime. I've probably joined a workgroup and rejoined the domain about 10 times by now trying different things.

There are no other subnets or sites here. We are all on the same subnet.

There are other computers here which have had no problems with logging onto the domain. This computer used to logon to the domain perfectly fine. I think it all started maybe because there used to be a roaming profile that it was setup to use. I removed it because it wasn't needed anymore. After that, this workstation was used on a daily basis with a local user logged on locally. Then recently i tried to log onto the domain and got the error. I have never been able to logon to the domain again.

Phew, I think i've said everything that i tried up to this point.

I'm going to try to get my hands on this netdom utility and try that next.

I hope this helps some more. If anyone can think of anymore possibilities please post.

Thanks again to the people who have been reading this thread and especially those of you posting replies with ideas. Thank you very much.

Your Mother just showed me this article here at school.

I believe you should run the Nltest command first to see if the secure channel is actually the problem before running the Netdom command

If that is the problem I will let you use my Netdom to try to fix it.

Since I don't use my NT supplies anymore it wouldn't be of any problems on my end to just let you have my CD for that utility.

Let me know if you need it. Also let me know if you need the nltest command too.

Laters

Xian

Here are some helpful URLs:

Resource Kit Download Link, Just choose x86 or alpha

prolly x86 in your case.

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/ntkit/default.asp

But make sure you download the updated Netdom utility...

you can get that here...

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/nt4/x86/netdom_x86.exe

Also ftping into microsoft's site is a great way to get all those nifty little tools that ship with resource kits FYI

AskNetGuy

Thanks AskNetGuy.

I got the netdom utility off the microsoft ftp site, as well as the resource kit update tools from the microsoft website.

I gave it a shot and tried to run nltest but couldn't. I need the full windows nt resource kit to run it because there missing dll's.

I went ahead and ran the netdom utility from the windows nt box.

It reset the secure channel successfully. I tried to logon to the domain and it still wouldnt let me.

I just remembered that i deleted the user account from the server that the windows nt box used to logon to the domain with. I deleted it and recreated it a while back.

My mom told me something about if you delete the user account from the server, then your screwed and you'll never be able to make the connect again.

I'm not exactly sure if this could be one of the causes as to why i still cant logon using any of the username from the domain anymore.

Also, i may need to hit you up on that offer to borrow that resource kit. If you still think its worth running the nltest tool at this point. Thanks.