Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

Problems with ATA100 RAID Controller

Hello there,

Recently I bought ATA100 RAID Controller (Dawicontrol DC-100 UDMA-100 controller with Highpoint chip "HPT370") so I striped my two 80GB Seagate HDD drives in one 160GB Array.

Now in my case data blocks are written inteleaved between 2 disk drives, so the performance shuld be nearly doubled...

BUT the performance is actually really bad. I mean everything works so slow, much slower than before when my two HDDs were connected to primary master and primary slave IDE controller. I reinstalled my WindowsXP with no luck... It still takes ages (for exaple smile to copy something from one partition to another and when I am copying something everything else works really slow, for example I hardly open my email client when another application is accessing HDD at the same time.

Does anyone know what shuld I try to do?

Any tips and tricks?

I know it shuld work faster...

My configuration is:

- BIOS Setting Utility on my RAID card is version 2.31 (and can't be flashed to newer version),

- WindowsXP Drivers are version 2.34 (also tried 2.31 since same versions are recommended but with no luck)

- ATA RAID Management Software is version 2.31

- My HDDs are connected:

- one to primary master and another to secondary master on RAID controller (as it is said in User's Manual)

- My CD-ROM and DVD-ROM are connected to Primary and Secondary Master on IDE controller

- My CPU is Intel Pentium III 800EB Mhz

- My Mainboard is ASUS CUSL2-C (Black Pearl)

- 512MB RAM, ...

Thanks,

It is a known issue that Seagate harddrives works like shit in RAID. U cant fix it. Its something with the firmware in the seagate harddrives and seagate themselfs have been unable to solve it.

Quote:
It is a known issue that Seagate harddrives works like shit in RAID. U cant fix it. Its something with the firmware in the seagate harddrives and seagate themselfs have been unable to solve it.

good job i didnt get 2 seagate drives then, i nearly did coz they were going really cheap. glad i got the WD, amazing speed. Striped raid and i can copy 271mb file in 3seconds to my IBM 80GB also on the raid controller on IDE2. Raid is fantastic

Quote:

Yup. Basically, use the card as extra controllers (for your HDD's only) or get some different drives or see if you can get your money back on the RAID card.