Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fmendez

Is XP compatible with 2000 pro for home networking?

I just bought a new Dell computer with windows XP Home Edition. I was having difficulty networking them together with my other two Dells with Windows 2000 pro. I couldn't get the XP to see the Windows 2000 pro PCs. I called Dell and they said that I would have to down grade my XP to 2000 pro. That XP will not network with 2000 pro. Is this true??

Thanks

Not true!

WinXP Home cannot join a Win2k Domain, but it works just fine for normal workgroup-based sharing. Just make sure they all have the same workgroup name... Win2k defaults to "WORKGROUP", while WinXP defaults to "MSHOME".

I have Windows 2000 SP3 on my desktop system and XP Home on my Compaq Laptop and they get along fine on workgroup.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it.

I am trying just simple workgroup sharing. I'll attempt it again. I'll make sure the workgroups match. I thought they did but you never know. I might have missed something that simple.

Thanks again,

What's important is that TCP/IP is working, that each PC gets its own IP address, and that the IP addresses all belong to the same subnet you defined for your network. I find it best to stick to the 192.168.0.x series (which is what the Network Wizard in WinXP sets your LAN to if you opt to have Internet connection sharing) and setting the subnet to 255.255.255.0 of course), and to give each PC a static IP address. Also be sure to have Client for Microsoft Networks installed (but binding it only to the LAN connection, not to any Internet connection) for File and Printer sharing. My home LAN consists of 1 WinXP PC, 1 Win2k PC, and 1 Win98 PC and they can all see each other.

Quote:
Not true!

WinXP Home cannot join a Win2k Domain, but it works just fine for normal workgroup-based sharing. Just make sure they all have the same workgroup name... Win2k defaults to "WORKGROUP", while WinXP defaults to "MSHOME".

Um thats definetly a lie, I've got Win2000 server working with Windows XP and that is on a domain, and i got win2000 pro on another computer though

Quote:
Win2k defaults to "WORKGROUP", while WinXP defaults to "MSHOME".

I had always thought that as well. It suprised me that in a recent XP Pro installation the workgroup was defaulted to "WORKGROUP." I'm not sure why this was the case.

Quote:
Thanks "Copper Viper" (That is what your 'CU' is for in your nick/handle here, right?)!

Actually, I chose the CU because I attend the University of Colorado. Copper would be Cu, though it's just a matter of capitalization.

Quote:
P.S.=> If you set Windows XP to the old-style Domain type (can this be done, rather than ActiveDirectory forests/trees) will it work then? I am assuming, of course, that XP HOME does & CAN bind into one of those no problem... the AD type! Thanks for answers... apk

Nope, actually, XP Home cannot join a domain ever. To join any kind of domain it has to be XP Pro.

Quote:
Um thats definetly a lie, I've got Win2000 server working with Windows XP and that is on a domain, and i got win2000 pro on another computer though

That's fine if it's XP Pro... What I said is that XP Home can't join a domain.

Quote:
I had always thought that as well. It suprised me that in a recent XP Pro installation the workgroup was defaulted to "WORKGROUP." I'm not sure why this was the case.

Weird, I wonder if the service pack or something changed it. Well, I guess you just need to double-check when doing a new install, rather than relying on the defaults.