Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
s0l1d

msgina.dll problem in WinXP

I was running WinXP w/SP1. The last changes I did to WinXP was installing the cumulative IE patch through Windows Update. However, this afternoon when I turn on my computer, it says the following errors when loading into WinXP (nothing else is loaded except the wallpaper):

----------------------------------------------------------

winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point SetObjectOwner could not be located in the link dynamic library GDI32.dll

After I clicked OK in the error msg box, then I get this:

User Interface Failure

The Logon User Interface msgina.dll failed to load.

Contact system administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL.

I have tried copying the file msgina.dll from my brother's computer (also running XP w/SP1) and also extract the original file from XP's CD. Neither of them work. It still gives me this msg at bootup.

Anyone has any idea how to fix this problem without reinstalling XP?

My Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

Asus A7V333 w/RAID (RAID and onboard sound are disabled)

512MB DDR RAM

MSI GeForce4 Ti4400

SBLive! Value

Quantum LM 20GB HD (Primary Master) [2x10GB partitions, XP installed in 1st partition]

Fujitsu 30GB HD (Secondary Master) [10GB & 20GB partitions]

LG 16x DVD-ROM

WinXP w/SP1 (with all other patches installed through Windows Update as of Dec. 8th)

Do you have any Syman-crap products on there, most notably, PCAnywhere? That app was notorious for this issue when Windows 2000 first came out, even with the "Certified for Windows 2000" packages. Can it boot up in safe mode, or are you trying to copy the file over by putting your harddrive in another machine? What you could do is try "logon with previous settings" (or some such), and that will let you logon on with the previous system settings from the last successful logon attempt. Also, get in using safe mode w/ networking and uninstall the roll up using the MS Update site (if you don't see the roll up listed in add/remove programs), then reinstall SP1. You can also just try reinstalling SP1.

I have Norton Utilities and AntiVirus, but I don't have PCAnywhere. The computer's been working fine with those two Norton programs before.

I cannot boot into safe mode. It gives me the same error msgs since in safe mode Windows still need those files for GUI I guess. Boot with "last known good configuration" doesn't work either. I cannot boot completely into Windows at all.

I tried copying the file through booting with WinXP's CD. I copied the file msgina.dll from my brother's computer onto a floppy. Then I boot my computer using WinXP's CD, and choose "Recovery Console". I went into System32, backup the existing file, then copy the file from floppy. Restarted the computer and it give me the same error again. So from my brother's computer, I extracted the original file from WinXP's CD, copy to floppy again, and then repeat the same steps to copy to my computer. It still didn't work.

Anyone knows how to fix the problem without reinstalling WinXP??