Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gargus

Cdrom/dvdrom suggestions.

I think my kenwood 72x is about to kick the bucket. It starts up slow, doesnt like to read burned cd's and has been through alot. Considering I bought this guy when they first came out Im surprised it still works.

Now its time to buy a new one. I was considering getting a dvd/cd combo drive, even though I dont use dvd's or watch them or whatever on my pc. Im at a loss what to get.

Wether its cd only or a dvd and cd rom I just want something that isnt junk and will last awhile, nice and quiet, starts up quick and is pretty fast (doesnt have to 2000x). More or less what anyone wants when they look for one.

I like TEAC. I Have a 32x cdrom drive for 4 years and no problems. But I would recomend geting a dvd.

You know I like that LG 16x DVD-ROM or the Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, they are fast and quiet. I am currently using an LG 52X CD-ROM and it is quite fast but disks get really hot when used for awhile. I am assuming you don't need CD-RW capabilities. In any case I would get a DVD drive, they are cheap enough, and most new software will require DVD eventually, plus CDs work in DVD-ROM drives and usually spin at 40x+ speeds. This website has some reviews of optical drives:

http://www.cdrlabs.com

LG's Drives are highly recommended by myself as you can see i have 2 16x DVDDrives and a 48x Writer of theres and i am vary happy with them.

Whats LG?

I think I am going to get a dvd/cd but the eternal question which one? Hehe. I have a front slot one in my game machine made by pioneer and it works ok for me I might get another.

And no I dont need a burner. I have a plextor 24x10x40 now and only time Ill upgrade it is when plextor makes a dvd/cd burner.

Quote:
Quote:
Whats LG?

Your'e Joking right?

Yeah Im joking cause I was hoping someone would come in and make a snide remark about me not knowing what is instead of just answering my question. Looks like I accomplished my mission.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whats LG?

Your'e Joking right?

Yeah Im joking cause I was hoping someone would come in and make a snide remark about me not knowing what is instead of just answering my question. Looks like I accomplished my mission.

You are saying that you dont know who LG are?

Well this is there website www.lge.com they are an amzing company

I think LG is part of Samsung, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've just bought a Plextor combo CD-RW/DVD drive, and I'm well chuffed. It's not the fastest drive available, but you said that wasn't of prime importance to you.

It comes with Nero and WinDVD, so once setup, you're god to go smile

Do you remember the old electronics company Goldstar?

Well LG is a Korean company that formed out of the merging of two tech firms , Goldstar (Japan), and Lucky (Korea).

Lucky, what a silly name for an electronics outfit! You can see why they opted for the name LG.

From what I gather, their manufacturing is done in Japan, but their head offices are in Korea, but I could be totall upside down on this, but I do know Lucky used to be Korean, and Goldstar used to be Japanese.

So in fact, they aren't affiliated with Samsung at all.

I like their products though, I have a DVD drive and a Cell phone made by them, and they both offered excellent value, and very good features, and both seem to be very well built.

BTW, They still manufature under the name Goldstar for a few products, but they tend to be very low end. My brother has a Goldstar DVD player, that doesn't even support VCD or MP3 decoding. It had exactly the same outter casing as the LG DVD player I saw at the store, so they are just branding the lower specs models under the Goldstar brand.

Ok thanks. I didnt know if LG was a company, a abbreviation for a term, abbreviation for a companies name or whatnot. But I hadnt heard of LG as a actual manufacturer or anything till now.

As far as price to performance, I would recommend Lite-On drives. You can usually pick up the OEM versions fairly inexpensive. Lite-On CDRW drives are also fully supported by CloneCD, if you're interested.