Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duhmez

Have 2000 or Xp and internet? Disable Netbios over TCP/IP!

This is critical, and if you don't you will get hacked into next week!!

Use netbeui for netbios on your lan, (ON XP it's on the cd in the valueadd folder), or disable netbios over TCP/IP on your internet connected nic and leave it enabled on your lan nic.

To do this:

Rioght click your internet conected conection, goto advanced TCP/IP properties, then click the wins tab.

Click the box "Disable netbios over TCP/IP.

Nothing over the internet has any reason to have netbios access over TCP/IP so nothing will break on you.

Cheers!

We covered that here:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/forums/viewt...asc&start=0

although I am curious why you think next week is so special. Is there some sort of time bomb worm out there? Not that it matters, many ISPs stopped allowing NetBIOS traffic a *long* time ago because of people browsing other people's computers (this was problematic on cable-based broadband). But, you shouldn't be using it anyway on an external interface so it's good practice to disable it.

It was an expression. Not that anyone will get hacked "Next week" but ,

"Get hacked into next week"

I posted it because after perusing the security forum I did not happen to notice it anywhere, and thought I would add my 2 cents is all.

Cheers

Huh? I could have sworn it was, and if you are using DHCP it defaults to "use settings from DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP server provides no NetBIOS setting, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". It even lists this option as "Default" on the WINS tab.

Cool, because all of mine have defaulted to the setting that I mentioned.

Lan adapters default to netbios enabled, dialup connections default to netbios disabled.