Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

Possible Forum Changes

General

Posts not specifically related to a particular Operating System.

Applications

Do you have problems in all Operating Systems with the program? Want to talk about a new application? Post here.

Drivers

Need a driver for a piece of hardware? We might be able to find it.

Hardware

Hardware Troubleshooting

HOWTO

Guides explaining everything. From OS install and removal to Hardware install and removal. EVERYTHING!

Networking

Troubleshooting for all kinds of network configurations. Have a question about how to setup a network device? Post here.

Security

Security information for all operating systems.

Scripting/Programming

Want to learn how to script? Have a question? Want to share your program? Post here.

Hotfixes and Updates

Discuss Microsoft hotfixes and Updates in this forum.

Windows NT 4.0 WKS/2000 and Windows XP Pro Troubleshooting

Discussion of Windows NT 4.0 Workstation/2000 Pro and Windows XP Home/Pro at work and at home.

Applications

Software Application Troubleshooting

Hardware

Hardware Troubleshooting

Networking

Network Troubleshooting

OS Customization

Hidden and not so hidden settings to configure to make your system go faster or work better.

Windows NT 4.0/2000 and 2003 Server Troubleshooting

Windows NT 4.0 Server/2000 Server/Advanced Server and Windows 2003 Server/Enterprise Server

Applications

Software Application Troubleshooting

Hardware

Hardware Troubleshooting

Networking

Network Troubleshooting

OS Customization

Hidden and not so hidden settings to configure to make your system go faster or work better.

Home

Forums dedicated to discussion of Home usage of MS Operating systems.

DOS

Discussion of all forms of DOS.

Windows 1-3.x/9x/ME

Discussion (or lack thereof) of Windows 1-3.x,95,98,or even ME!

Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP and 2003 Gaming

Troubleshoot Gaming in all MS NT Operating Systems

Off Topic

Forums that have nothing to do with NT Compatibility but are important in their own right.

Buy, Sell or Trade

Buy, Sell, or Trade your stuff!

Computer Tech

Benchmarks, Hardware news, Modifications, overclocking.

Feedback

Don't like something about NTCompatible? Want to talk about News on the Front Page? Post here.

Gaming

Game news, Game tweaks, tips, hints.

Slack Space

Anything that doesn't have to do with NT Compatibility goes in here. Rant, Rave, Post your system specs, Anything goes (within the Forum Guidelines of course)

Moderators Corner

A private discussion area for moderators

Due to posts being posted in the wrong forums over and over I just whipped up the above as a possibilty. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah I was just going to mention this, alot of double posting happening because of people's needs to address the 2k and XP.

Basically NT4 is near death, by combining 2k and XP together and moving NT4 wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Most software drivers are 2k/XP integrated so, join them.

My suggestion for forums:

>Windows 2000/XP (trouble shooting only)

Games

Application

Hardware

Networking

Tips and Tweaking

>General

Games (general game talk)

Tech Talk (something for hardware talk)

Recycle Bin (anything else)

>Legacy

Windows NT 4.0

Windows 95/98/ME

>Other

Feedback

Buy and Sell

Should we stick XP Home with Windows 9x?

Most home users will be using XP Home and this would keep the noob's out of the Pro forums.......Nah, this is good. Just gotta stick it all in the FAQ.

XP Home with Win9x would just cause too much grief. XP is XP, some advanced users use WinXP Home.

Just updated it again.

Whoah! That's alot of forums. Thinking about adding an Updates forum. Hmmmm....

Ok, I've got a suggestion to add... How about a seperate forum for NT/2k/.NET Server OSs? Covering installation, troubleshooting, security, etc. Possibly with some sticky guides/FAQ's...? I wouldn't mind helping to write a few guides/FAQ's either.

Not quite sure what you mean about the seperate forum. Could you explain further?

Also FAQ's are good. I love FAQs. Get the FAQ's. That's the FAQ Jack! Ummm...sorry. laugh

Quote:
Ok, I've got a suggestion to add... How about a seperate forum for NT/2k/.NET Server OSs? Covering installation, troubleshooting, security, etc. Possibly with some sticky guides/FAQ's...? I wouldn't mind helping to write a few guides/FAQ's either.

Ah, SERVER. That's what I get for not reading. laugh Hmmm, Yes...there definetly needs to be seperation between the WKS and the SVRS...Hmmm....

I was thinking of a HOME/WORK seperation but I cannot figure out a decent way to do it. frown Of course sticking DOS/9x/XP Home in their own category would work...

Mabye lump XP Home with the legacy OS's and rename Legacy to HOME Operating systems. That way could seperate the rest of the forum from the noobs. Dunno...they probably wouldn't be able to see it with all the forums. wink

I was trying to think of a logical layout and seperation for home OS, workstation OS, and server OS, but I'm not sure how, yet. I'll have to keep thinking on this.

This is getting overly complicated. Separate forums for Internet Explorer is pushing it...its an application. While I understand your need to make a DirectX forum, you don't need really need one. DirectX covers games and applications as an API.

I know some people post in the wrong forums, but its unavoidable, the DirectX forum will never be used much. Most new people will just dump their DirectX questions into games.

Also trying to get rid of "Noobs" is kinda strange and that all these "HOME" OSes shouldn't belong in the same league as the "PRO" OSes. Alot of tech enthusiasts use XP Home, there are hardcore people who still use Windows 98. Some businesses still use 98. Separating from 9x to NT was good. Separating differents NTs like NT4, 2000, XP and .NET is good, separating XP and XP, not so good. In my opinion of course.

I can see your reasoning with the IE and DX forums...which I'll remove. I was just toying with the idea.

In forums such as these there are conflicts between Home users and workplace users. Both require different levels of attention. Believe me. Dumping Home users and Workplace users into one forum leads to trouble and is not as efficient.

Which is why an DOS/9X/XP Home forum is a good idea. These are MS Home OS'S (Although used in Businesses Especially DOS). Are MS Marketed as Home OS's.

Yeah...now we got something. I like that, I think that was the problem, keeping games around in business areas.

What do you think of a "Discuss this..." button on each news topic on the front page? I'm not sure how this could be done, but each news topic would have a new forum topic created only after someone had posted a response... Any thoughts, good or bad? While I'm on it, what seems to get more hits per day, the forum(s) or the news pages?

Philipp - PLEASE can you do something about replacing the fixed-sized fonts with variable sized 1s. I have asked you about this before, & you said you would do something about it soon, & I know you're a busy guy, but that was months ago!

Just to show you why it bothers me so much, I've taken a couple of screen-grabs of the prob. I use a resolution of 1024x768 [& have a 20" monitor, so it's not a monitor size issue], & have IE's View -> Text Size setting set to Largest. Another forum I read regularly uses variable sized fonts, & with the way I have IE set, it looks like this:

just%20right.jpg

Nice & readable.

But here's what NTC looks like:

too%20small%2001.jpg

The text is about 1/2 the size [maybe even less than 1/2] than that in the 1st example. Changing the Text Size setting makes absolutely no difference to it whatsoever, because it's done with fixed sized fonts. Fixed sized fonts are evil evil.gif & using evil fonts is bad, m'kay? laugh

PS - same applies to the main page, & can you also fix the "read more" links on the main page so that they open in a new window like they used to please.

What browser are you using? I am using Phoenix in Gentoo Linux (1.4 rc2) and I haven't had any issues with font size. Also, in Phoenix, when I do get to sites with ridiculously small fonts I can just hold the ctrl key and then use "+" and "-" to increase/decrease the font size displayed.