Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dankux

Ghost all vers.

Im having a real hard time ghosting xp+serv-pack1.

Main partition is on 80 gig with only 20 gigs partitioned (the rest is clean and not partitioned)

The target drive is a 40 gig

Both attached to a promise100tx2 controller (not modified).

Ive tried ghost from 2002-2003 vers/corperative7.0-7.5. None did the job.

Ive tried part2part and disc2disc-(disc2disk is why the 80 only have 20 partitioned).

Ive tried both "image all" "image boot" but not image disk since the source is to big.

After ghost the hd initialises and right where the 1'st splashscreen appears the machine reboots.

What a i missing?

Ive even tried partitionmagic8 and did a partitioncopy. Funny thing is that got past the splahscreen but stopped right before login pictures.

I tried the xxximageDRV.exe file suggested in a post. same fault as ghost.

Ive tried the repair feature in xp-cd (fixboot/fixmbr/repair under installation) didnt work.

well as u see "having a hard time"

Any help is welcome ;-)

Cheers

Dan

Quote:
After ghost the hd initialises and right where the 1'st splashscreen appears the machine reboots.

What a i missing?

After the drive is imaged, are you removing/disconnecting the first drive? Are you resetting the jumpers accordingly or are you using the cable select position? It sounds as though NTLDR isn't 'finding' the OS partition. When you copy the partition, ensure that the 'Hide partition after copy' feature is disabled.

Well i dont change any jumpers. I simply disconnect the source hd.

Im confident i havent turned any hiding feature on. Infact im wondering now if i have seen that feature in the GUI @ all.

I only ghost from floppy. The one time i tried from partition8 i made sure it wasnt hidden.

But im thinking as u that the nt loader cant find it properly. Even though u see a glimt of the 1'st splashscreen.

Could this really be such a simple mistake with the way its attached, when u can take the source and connect it to both promise controller and MB ide controller and still it boots flawlessly?

Still in trouble frown

i know i can just reinstall but this issue is really just Grrrr. :x

i have the same problem ghosting from an 18gb scsi drive to a 36gb.

exact same problem except that mine just sits at the windowsxp screen with the moving bar thingy...

sits there forever...

blah.

Quote:
Well i dont change any jumpers. I simply disconnect the source hd.

You're running a PCI IDE controller card, right? Are your hard drives each connected to a seperate channel, or is one a 'slave' of the other? In either instance, when you disconnect the source drive, you will need to place the destination drive in the exact same ide 'slot' as the source. For example, if the source is the master on the primary IDE channel, and the destination drive is the master on the secondary IDE channel, simply disconnecting the source will not work, as the NTLDR will be looking on IDE 0:0 as the boot drive, not IDE 1:0.

ahhh, except that i am having much the same problem with a scsi set up.

i jumper my newly ghosted drive to ID 0 (same as the source was) after i ghost it...

ideas anyone?

Did you image the partition or the drive? As I remember, on a drive with an NTFS partition, there is +/- 8MB left unpartitioned... Did that get imaged to the new drive as well?

the original source drive didn't have that 8mb empty space, but that is something to consider.

Well i know about the small 7-8 meg part... but the source doesnt have that. even though i have it on another installation on a 3rd drive ;-)

I understand what u mean with xcact position 0:0 but what is wierd is. When i take the source its not bothered where i connect it. It boots flawlessly no matter where i connect it ..controller or onboard no props.

ill try what u suggested AdanVSJackson ill let u know what happends, but i see in the cards that ill have same issue. crossed fingers though. wink

dont know if the Q whas aimed at me but i copied both part2part and disc2disc same prop.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is PowerQuest DriveImage. I have used both DriveImage and Ghost, and I think that Ghost is better when imaging to CD-R or a network, but from HDD to HDD, I prefer DriveImage.

Hi dankux,

I'm a big fan of Ghost, because it just about never fails. That's of course really important in terms of data reliability, wasted time, and possibly wasted CDR media. I returned my incompatible hunk of junk promise raid 100TX controller over that very issue. Promise should pay Norton some bucks and get native support for their controller. However they haven't and according to their tech support staff, they have no plans of doing so.

I am however speaking about the Dos 2001 version of Ghost and things may have changed. You see the promise RAID Controller and promise IDE controllers both use the same IDE interface with the bios. This interface isn't a complete emulation of Intel's ata 100 IDE Controller so when ghost tries to treat it like one it won't work. Ghost is fast, it's also proprietary and supports Intel IDE controllers natively and presumably AMD too (don't know, because I'm an Intel fan smile.

My advice to you is to try a different brand of IDE Controller. I hear HighPoint has better compatibility, but I can't back that up, because a salesman told me that (and we all know they lie sometimes smile. Can someone comment on whether any HighPoint solutions work with Ghost or Drive Image? Additionally should this guy just switch to Drive Image and will that work the Promise controllers?

I would also like to dispell that your NT Loader is the problem. Basically if you change IDE controllers or motherboards in Windows 2000 or higher you're flat ass stuck re-installing the OS. My advice is leave the boot drive on your motherboard's controller and put a newer larger drive on the controller and move as much over there as possible.

If you don't mind re-installing then do so, but considering you're using a promise IDE Controller, so it's already proprietary crap, why not just do a Promise Raid array or somebody else's? If you're going to go incompatible do it with pazazz! laugh

If you don't believe me or have any questions regarding what I've just told you feel free to call Promise and perhaps they can be of help in finding a compatible backup title. I think I had to wait a long time though to talk to someone like 30 minutes or more.

The other thing about installing promise controllers if you're going to take my recommendation and keep that piece of garbage (yes I'm allowed my opinions too smile then you should connect the boot drive to your motherboard. Put in the promise controller without any drives. Install the drivers and then reboot. If everything is stable (ya right!) with the controller card in there restart again and plug in a drive or more to the controller. You may also need to do some sort of setup in the Promise Controller's Bios, I dont' know if the Non-Raid versions have their own UI via a bios or not.

Also can people reply with RAID Controllers that actually work with Ghost or other backup titles I'm very interested in that?

Good luck,

Christian

Thanks for the reply. Ya I figured the Adaptec stuff would work they put a lot of money into their solutions. Can anyone comment on whether any of adaptec's IDE RAID Solutions work as well. I presume they would, because if Adaptec is smart and well let's face it they a flock of prodigies wink then they probably just mapped the IDE interface to SCSI for their IDE RAID Solutions.

Cheers,

Christian

Oh MY GOD...

That simple. 8)

pulled out the controller. Connected both drives Mb-idectrl'er/ghosted/put target in as source/booted flawlessly.

Just to incredible to believe.

I thank u all for the inputs on this thread wink

unvaluable source of help as usually

Denmark 10-4 out laugh

Quote:
Oh MY GOD...
That simple. 8)

pulled out the controller. Connected both drives Mb-idectrl'er/ghosted/put target in as source/booted flawlessly.

Just to incredible to believe.

I thank u all for the inputs on this thread wink

unvaluable source of help as usually

Denmark 10-4 out laugh

Hi Dankux,
You're welcome I'm glad it worked smile.
-Christian

Hi Alec,

Actually Ghost 2003 might work with "Any" RAID array, via windows compatibility and drivers. However Ghost 2002 definetly does not. Whatever the case I highly recommend you check for compatibility with your controller on Symatec's website. If you can't find just ask their support people. They're pretty good about helping people although it often takes a couple of days to get an answer.

-Christian