Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

What should be a decent temp for a P4?

Im just using the stock fan and have my 2.53 at 2.70, the highest temp i have seen is 44C (Makes a change from 60C on my Athlon XP :D)at load using Asus Probe (which probably isnt totally accurate) but when i am in windows browsing or playing music it sits at about 32C-36C so im wondering if you guyz think i could get 2.8 or would that be pushing it?

Normally 31.5 at idle... 35+/- fulltilt

That's with a Swiftech MCX4000 (highly recomended)

I've had it up over 3 and stable, but I really don't need to push my luck ;-).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor(s)

Model : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz

Speed : 2.89GHz

Performance Rating : PR3177 (estimated)

Type : Standard

L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC synchronous ATC

System Mainboard

Bus(es) : AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 SMBus/i2c

MP Support : No

System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4B533-E PURE UDMA 1011

System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4B533-E

System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc 82845E Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (E0-step)

Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 152MHz (608MHz data rate)

Installed Memory : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor

Adapter : RADEON 8500/RADEON 8500LE

Physical Storage Devices

Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive : WDC WD800JB-00CRA1

Disk Drive : WDC WD800JB-00CRA1

CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-40125S

CD-ROM/DVD : MITSUMI CD-ROM FX54++W

Operating System(s)

Windows System : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.00.2195 Service Pack 2

I just bought a Coolermaster IHC-L71 which have had some great reviews. So looking to get to maybe 3Ghz which i dont think should be a prob with that fan

Another cool (pun intended) feature of the P4 is if it overheats, it will slow down, for self-preservation... There's a video on Tom's Hardware of a P4 running the Quake 3 timedemo looped, and the heatsink/fan is removed. Nearly instantly, the FPS drops sharply, but upon reattaching the heatsink/fan, the game speeds back up. Just an extra bit of insurance, I suppose. At the time when I was deciding what platform to build as my next PC, the Athlon/AthlonXP didn't have such a feature. Now, I am careful with case fans, etc., but I never shut my machine off, so there is the increased risk of a fan dying when I am not nearby to catch it.

I havent turned this machine off since i got it 7days ago, aslong as you class standby not being off. Which technically on a P4 Standby is off smile

I saw that video and that is what made me decide i shud go for a P4 then i found they use 2500rpm fans to keep cool and i just gave in to the almighty Intel and bought 1.

By the way jim what type of fan is on your Swiftech MCX4000?

Quote:
I havent turned this machine off since i got it 7days ago, aslong as you class standby not being off. Which technically on a P4 Standby is off smile

I saw that video and that is what made me decide i shud go for a P4 then i found they use 2500rpm fans to keep cool and i just gave in to the almighty Intel and bought 1.

YS Tech TMD fan Model #PD1270155B-2F
74 x 15mm / 37 cfm @ 5800 rpm - 39dBA
Actual quite a reasonable sound level.

Review at http://www.overclockers.com/articles603/

I've also got a Lian Li PC-60; that also helps with the temp.

Quote:
Another cool (pun intended) feature of the P4 is if it overheats, it will slow down, for self-preservation... There's a video on Tom's Hardware of a P4 running the Quake 3 timedemo looped, and the heatsink/fan is removed. Nearly instantly, the FPS drops sharply, but upon reattaching the heatsink/fan, the game speeds back up. Just an extra bit of insurance, I suppose. At the time when I was deciding what platform to build as my next PC, the Athlon/AthlonXP didn't have such a feature. Now, I am careful with case fans, etc., but I never shut my machine off, so there is the increased risk of a fan dying when I am not nearby to catch it.

That video is little more than an Intel funded publicity stunt, I'm sure of it. Sure, the P4 might be able to operate without a HSF but how often in the real world does a heatsink just fall off a chip? A much more likely failure is a siezed fan caused by either the accumulation of dust or more likely cheap sleeve bearings used in place of the more reliable, and expensive, ball bearings. Unfortunately, you're not likely to see such impressive pyrotechnics (nor such an impressive demonstration of the Pentium 4s thermal throttling...) in such a situation.

It falls off a lot, actually. Rough handling of systems in transport (or poor packaging) combined with less than competent users leaves you with a great chance of that happening. I remember reading many times about people forgetting to properly mount their Athlons (or leaving the fan unplugged on accident, which happens to everyone at some point) and with the rate those things heat up they simply cook.

Quote:
It falls off a lot, actually. Rough handling of systems in transport (or poor packaging) combined with less than competent users leaves you with a great chance of that happening. I remember reading many times about people forgetting to properly mount their Athlons (or leaving the fan unplugged on accident, which happens to everyone at some point) and with the rate those things heat up they simply cook.

One of the reasons that I paid the bucks for the Swiftech. Very positive atachment with no chance of cracking anything. No way that sucker's coming off ;-).

Quote:
Quote:

YS Tech TMD fan Model #PD1270155B-2F
74 x 15mm / 37 cfm @ 5800 rpm - 39dBA
Actual quite a reasonable sound level.

Review at http://www.overclockers.com/articles603/

I've also got a Lian Li PC-60; that also helps with the temp.

Iv had a 6000rpm fan before and i can say i dont tolerate noise levels, i hated my Athlon because it used a 4800rpm fan and i couldnt hear my tv with it on, now i can hear my tv and leave the comp on laugh , you just gotta love the P4