Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oldspice

ASP and MSSQL, is this the combination to have?

I am proficient in PHP, MySQL, HTML, C++, Fortran, Assembly, and am interested in the "right" combination from the other guys for Web database applications. I definately will study MSSQL and from what I understand the syntax is darn identical to MySQL so that should not be a hard switch but what about the scripting language? Is it Perl, VB, ASP, or what? I have read banter regarding this in the forum but am wondering if anybody can share some insight into which scripting language is most needed for interacting with MSSQL in US markets.

MSSQL is way more powerful than MySQL, but most RDBMS systems are similar to one another in their core aspects. Now, for the best language to connect to the DB, that's generally ADO (ActiveX Data Objects)/ADO.NET. VB and ASP both use ADO, while the .NET languages use ADO.NET.

thanks. Can a person use VB in HTML code as a scripting language or is it only for creating Windows applications? My personal goal is to become a jack of all trades because I think the giant software companies(business aplication software-not necessarily MS) are starting to price out the little companies and the trend of the future will be for small companies to hire employees who can dabble in many different things and custom build applications during slow periods when networks are operating efficiently smile I think right now companies are caught up in buying software products but when it comes time to reduce costs even further(when labor costs have been reduced so much that workers are sent to the poor house)they will be looking for talented individuals who can build and operate this stuff for them. I might point out that either way MS will still hold a comfortable position because they do make the best "programming" suites.

You can't use VB in HTML pages, but you can use VBScript. They are very similar, of course, but not identical. VBScript is pretty much the de facto standard for ASP, though you can also use JScript (similar to javascript) or PerlScript (if you install ActivePerl). I think ASP.NET can use any .NET compatible language, which would also throw VB.NET and C# into the mix.

As for your quest to be a jack-of-all-trades (and master-of-none? ;)), I would definitely add Perl to your forte, as it is an extremely powerful language. The regular expressions in Perl are especially killer - there's a reason why all the other languages strive to implement PCRE libraries (perl compatible regular expressions)... imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Thanks. CUViper. I will consider perl. I know most public servers are perl compatible, I have only heard perl takes more steps to accomplish the same tasks as other scripting languages. I have been hearing a lot about ASP lately and how it goes hand in hand with MSSQL, almost like perl is losing its popularity or being nudged out. If you had to choose between the two, which one would you choose? I would like to gain a basic understanding of both of course. To be honest I was leaning towards ASP.NET but have no clue what I am talking about.

.NET and MSSQL is a *very* fast combination, but they come with a fairly hefty price tag (W2K/.NET Server and MSSQL Server licenses). You can use the much nicer IDEs for them as well, such as VS.NET for many languages or the freebie "Matrix" from MS that handles ASP.NET (VB.NET and C#, but some others are coming for it I think) only. PHP and PostgreSQL might be a better combination, as I have read that PostgreSQL supports more RDBMS functions than MySQL does.

Quote:
I know most public servers are perl compatible, I have only heard perl takes more steps to accomplish the same tasks as other scripting languages.

Perl is great for quick applications... I have written many scripts in perl that would have taken 2-3 times as much code to accomplish the same thing in other languages. But, for large applications, it can be a real hassle. OO programming in Perl is very cumbersome. So for a large task, you would probably be better off with something else...

Thanks CUViper and clutch. I think I will continue improving my php skills and learn MSSQL for sure and maybe dable in some of the microsoft scripting products smile These MS products are getting so freaky lately it is hard to know what does what anymore;)