Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

Ghost Different Computers

One of the companies I work for requires Ghosting of computers so that we can keep them all the same. The PC's are different in hardware. I have used SysPrep to remove the hardware layer, yet when I use Ghost 2002 and create the image, upon restarting a different pc with the image placed on I get the following error: Inaccessible_boot_disk. I have read symantec's help and they state options that do not work for me with personal edition. I am wondering will it even work to have different hard drives sizes with personal or do I need to switch to Enterprise. Please help!

Update: Enterprise gave same error? I am lost.

This is due to different Controllers between the PC's. Either install the drives for the different controllers on one image or use sysprep and deploy with RIS.

The easiest route is to simply make a Ghost Disc for each model of PC and lock down your computer repair policies so that hardware replaced matches that which was taken out. (Basically return to company or buy same parts).

There are many different PC's so creating an image for each would be a royal pain. Isn't there a way with sysprep to remove that controller that when I deploy the image, it finds a new controller driver?

If you download sysprep 1.1 from MS's website it will allow you to build an image for multiple HD controllers. They also include numerous default PIDs to include in your sysprep.inf.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/incremental/sysprep11.asp

Also, IIRC, in cmdlines.txt you should put in sysprep.exe -clean to remove the extra PIDs after the initial install. I cant find the link on this feature ... maybe google.

Yeah, I prefer the multicast capibilities with ghost 7.5 then altiris ... even though altiris is helping MS develop SMS 3 ....

My $0.02