Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Windows Longhorn...

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for awhile concentrating on my HW+ issues but is it true that Microsoft is supposed to have a new OS around the corner code named "Longhorn?"

If it is then what's the new features that will make anyone choose it over XP (which the final server version isn't even out for yet)?

Thanks in advance either way.

Longhorn, or an OS based upon it, is scheduled for a 2004/05 release. Additions will include DRM, a new interface, and many other features.

That new GUI looks particularly interesting. Any idea when it'll be pushed into general beta release, I want to get a closer look at it?

I heard it's possible that the final may be pushed out in third quarter of 2003.

Another rumour I heard was that the final Longhorn had been leaked out and was now in low circulation among some IRC's. Any validation to this?

Thanks AdmiralLSD/Adamvjackson for the replies as always.

Btw, your suggestions for slipstreaming XP SP1 solved my issues for my USB on my notebook and XP Office on my desktop.

Many thanks.

Virtual Java (the bean) to all you guys who responded smile

Quote:
Another rumour I heard was that the final Longhorn had been leaked out and was now in low circulation among some IRC's. Any validation to this?

There is a version of Longhorn circulating, I believe the build number is 3683, and it is far from a final build, from what I've read. Also, while it may be possible for a final release to be made by Q4 2003, I highly doubt it... That is based upon the development cycle of .NET Server, which I have been a part of (indirectly, as a beta tester). Granted, any server OS inherently has a longer devlopment cycle.

Well guys i have Longhorn alpha running on my comp now. its kind of nice looking but its not very responsive and there is problems with the preview bar in my computer and folders but other than that it is XP with some new improvements. Quite nice really

I've had Longhorn running now for couple of days and really like the GUI. I've tried porting over the Display Scheme to XP Pro but you don't get the same look. Oh well. I'll test out some games on it then call it night.

Thanks guys.