Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Hard disk reported only as 8 GB?

This has been bugging me for awhile.

When I try to setup Windows 2000 with SP3 slipstreamed the text portion of setup will only recognize 8 GB of my 20 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus IDE drive.

If I use my original Windows 2000 CD without any SP integrated, it detects the full drive capacity and there is no problem. However, sometimes after a reboot the system will not pick the hard disk up. Plus, if I update my install to any SP (1,2, or 3) the system won't detect the full capacity at all.

I checked MS's website and found this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q254769

However, it doesn't help me since this problem happens all the time. I tried using the original ATAPI.SYS file with the various SP installs and sometimes it works but most of the time the drive will not detect. I tried using XP's ATAPI.SYS but that caused Windows 2000 to not boot up. Windows XP does not have this problem for me, neither does 98 or ME.

I have 2 hard disks, a Western Digital 80GB as primary master and this Maxtor drive is the slave to it. Both are ATA100 running in ATA66 mode with 7200 RPM. Is there any possible solution to this worthless annoying problem?

Is the WD drive set as master on the drive with the jumpers (I think it goes down the center) and not using the default setting of horizontal on the bottom row? WD drives are a pain alot of time if you use the default setting on the jumper. Also are either of the drives on cable select using the jumpers? If one or both is they need to be set as definite slave or master.

You tried putting them on seperate chains and seeing if that fixes it?

Im still thinking but Ill put this here for now.

What Gargus is saying is probably your problem. Check to see if the jumpers are set to anything stating "clip" (I think I have seen this option to clip to 8GB and 32GB). I usually set my drives to autodetect on the channels of the IDE cable.

I managed to fix the problem a few days ago, as I was attempting to do what you guys suggested, separate the hard disks. The problem was that the Maxtor DiamondMax drive had a jumper enabled to limit the cylinder count. In the manual it says that this jumper helps in the installation of Windows NT4 since it cannot recognize the full capacity of large hard disks until you patch it with the Service Pack. However, after I removed the jumper, Windows 2000 detected the hard disk just fine and all 20GB.