Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
craigz

removed floppy drive, yet still in device manager

I removed my floppy drive from system, Asus P4T-C motherboard, and it still shows up in device manager. If I disable in boot menu from bios setup and set legacy drive as None the computer will not load windows. If I uninstall from device manager, it just reinstalls itself every time computer is restarted. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
You need to disbale the FDC controller as well in the BIOS

Thanks for the help. I don't recall a setting for the controller, but I'll go in the bios and check out what is there

Quote:
Quote:
You need to disbale the FDC controller as well in the BIOS

Thanks for the help. I don't recall a setting for the controller, but I'll go in the bios and check out what is there

I can't seem to see anywhere to disable the FDC controller. There is a setting under the main tab to choose the size of floppy or none, then under the boot tab the floppy can be disabled. If I set the floppy to none and disacble booting, my computer will not load windows. There is a setting to disable the PCI IDE controllers, but those are for my hard drives and CD-Roms (Primary and Secondary). My board is an ASUS P4T533-C and AWARD BIOS. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

There should be an option that states something like Show floppy in Windows 95 or something. Wish I could recall the exact wordage but the floppy drive is mentioned. laugh

Actually you need to find the option to disable onboard FDC controller. Usually found in integrated periphereals section of the BIOS. (Award BIOS anyway)

Make sure in the BIOS that you have the hard drive at the top of the boot order list.

well guys, there is no setting to disable the FDC controller in the Bios, although I do remember my old ASUS CUSL2-C did have the intergrated peripheral option that pmistry mentioned. My computer will boot up now as long as the hard drive is first in boot sequence but it still loading the floppy drivers on startup. For now I have the FDC disabled in device manager and that keeps the icon from showing up in My Computer. It would be nice to have it totally removed from the system, but until I can figure out how to Disable the controller in the Bios, Windows will still try do install drivers for it. Thanks everyone for your help and if you think of any other options, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Craig