Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Avalanche

Most Often Used Program list in XP

Hi. I was wondering if anyone here knows what sort of criteria WinXP uses to add entries to the "Most often used Programs" list in the start menu.

For me it keeps adding dumb things that I never, ever open, like the WS_FTP Pro Release notes Readme file, and On Screen Keyboard.

Mostly it adds what I use most often, and for this I think the feature is a good one But why does it keep adding things I never use? I remove them from the list, and they just keep coming back, it's a little annoying.

Anyway, it's not a big concern, I'm more curious than anything else. Thanks.

I've figured that it adds the executables in the same order you use them, if you have it set to 9 items, then it shows the last 9 proggies used, regardless of how many times you've used them. But, as you mention it ,sometimes I've felt that some hang around more permanently than others but haven't looked into it. If you right click and delete those you don't want to have there, are you saying that not used programs show up by themselves? It sounds like something is screwed up in your regisrty if it adds non-executables, like readme files, never seen that.

BTW, not that I wan't to hijack this thread, but does someone know of a hack/program to add cascading folders to this same place or to the "sticky" part of the startmenu?

H.