Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nutsadamus

printer sharing

Hello there,

Hopefully someone can help me out...

I have a win2k machine and 98se machine hooked up using a linksys befsr41. File sharing is working fine between the two.

The printer, HP photosmart 1115, is physically connected to the win2k machine and I have it set up to share.

Well, the printer shows up on 98's network neighborhood, but wants to install drivers for it. Here lies the problem. I tried installing the printer drivers using the cd that came with the printer, but cannot complete installation because it eventually wants me to plug the printer in. Also, i tried browsing the printer cd for the correct inf file but there are several inf's and none of them seemed to work. Kept getting a popup that said "this file does not have information for your printer" or something similiar.

I'm still not sure if I have to do something on the win2k machine, or the 98 machine to get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. You'd think the HP support site would have some info regarding printer sharing, but I could find nothing after an hour of digging.

thanks,

nuts

You need to install it as a network printer on the w98 box, not as a local one.

I had exctly the same setup (BEFSR41, W2K/W98 but two HP printers on the W2K box), and it worked fine.

H.

ok, so i I found the "additional drivers" button on the printer's properties screen on the win2k machine.

And i checkmark 98/95, but then I'm stuck.

The win2k disk doesn't have the drivers on it because its a newer printer I guess. I try to browse the printer cd too, but cannot find the right freaking file.

Stoopid HP....

on the 98 machine, I went to settings , printers, add printer, network printer, and then i'm back to the whole trying to find the drivers rigamarole. I have the dang disk, but cannot find the correct file.

I keep winding up at the Add Printer Wizard where my printer isn't listed.

never mind, got it figured out.

Was just a matter of digging around the driver cd that came with the printer and finding an inf file that worked. The file was buried pretty good.

Is there supposed to be an easier way of doing this?