Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

IE 6.01 slow to complete pages after updating to 1.5Mb cable

This is wierd. After switching from 768K DSL to 1.5MB cable, on my main machine it seems like web pages take a REALLY long time to finish loading.

I have gone to DSLreports.com and I am getting my 1.5mb speed, and when I download from newsgroups, you can see the pipe fill up nicely in my DUmeter. But it seems like web pages are finishing slower.

On another similar machine I have, it does not take as long.

All machines running Windows 2000, IE6.01 SP1.

Especially slow are the graphics downloads, sometimes 30 seconds to finish a page.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the reason I switched to cablemodem from DSL was this:

My 768K DSL was costing me $50'month.

My Expanded Basic cable without HBO etc. was costing me $50/month

1.5MB Cablemodem with Digital Cable with 18movie stations costs me $109/month.

So I got 18 movie stations and 1.5mb instead of 768 for $10.

I do know that my upload speed is worse with cablemodem then DSL, but I wouldn't think that this would be the result.

I double checked all my TCP settings and they seem right.

I find it strange that this seems to happen more on one machine then others. I re-installed IE6.01 just to make sure it was not corrupted.

I ran Window Washer to clean out cache stuff.

Any other hints?

Ok,

I have discovered that if I use Opera 6.05 instead of IE 6.01 sp1, the pages finish MUCH quicker. I don't think we are just looking at Opera's inherent speedier performance here.

So, once again, is there something that might be sludging up IE6's performance.

you might ask, well, why don't I just switch to Opera. Well it is tempting, but I don't want to give up ROBOFORM which only works in IE6 right now.

I do a lot of shopping on the Internet and Robotform helps filling those forms very nicely.

Once again, this just seemed to become a problem with the upgrade from DSL to Cablemodem.

Thanks for any help

Check your internet connection options in IE, to ensure that the ISP's installation didn't add any proxy servers.

[Edit]

Did the cable ISP install brand IE? Do you have a non-MS flag in IE's upper-right hand corner?

[/Edit]

I avoided using ANY of their software.

I am using the exact same IE as before.

It is NOT branded, it is downloaded from MS.

There are NO proxy settings.

Once again, the connection works VERY fast on other machines on the same LAN. (My home lan has 7 machines including a Win2k Server).

Naturally my main machine is the one having problems.

Quote:
Ok,
I have discovered that if I use Opera 6.05 instead of IE 6.01 sp1, the pages finish MUCH quicker. I don't think we are just looking at Opera's inherent speedier performance here.

So, once again, is there something that might be sludging up IE6's performance.

you might ask, well, why don't I just switch to Opera. Well it is tempting, but I don't want to give up ROBOFORM which only works in IE6 right now.
I do a lot of shopping on the Internet and Robotform helps filling those forms very nicely.

Once again, this just seemed to become a problem with the upgrade from DSL to Cablemodem.

Thanks for any help

Mozilla has a form filling out option as well.- i am pretty sure.

I am so confused as to what this is about with the IE6.01 SP1 being SO SLOW.

Things I have tried lately:

1) Re-install IE6

2) Install a second NIC

3) Reinstall Windows2000 (painful & no help)

4) Double check all DNS stuff

Once again, the two machines hooked into the KVM at my desk have COMPLETELY different speed.

On the left hand (main) machine, IE crawls. www.nytimes.com takes 45 seconds to mostly load, often with missing pictures.

On the right hand (mess around, try out new software etc) machine, it loads in about 6 seconds complete.

I have run the IE 6 repair routine.

5) I started going through the control panel and using the Add/remove hardware to remove old "hidden" devices that no longer exist on this machine, looking for NIC related stuff.

The main (left) machine is Soyo Dragon Platinum 333 w/ AMD XP2200+, 1GB RAM, two 80gb WDJB drives in RAID 0, with a fast Nvidia card.

The right hand machine is running Nforce mboard with ATI-Radeon All-in-wonder 512mb, AMD XP1800+.

And once again, the problem seems IE related at least to a degree. The Opera web browser completes pages better on the main machine, although it does not really run as fast as the right hand machine with IE.

What AM I MISSING????

Alright, since you're using 2 machines, side by side, I assume you have them both running to a switch/router. Have you tried different RJ-45 ports? How about replacing the cat5 cable?

Quote:
Alright, since you're using 2 machines, side by side, I assume you have them both running to a switch/router. Have you tried different RJ-45 ports? How about replacing the cat5 cable?

I did that. There was no change. I have both a router and a switch attached to it, and have moved back and forth with no change whatsoever. Sigh.

I have come to the conclusion that I should do one of two things:

1) Build a new machine, clean install Windows 2000, move my data: the problem being a HUGE amount of time getting it re-installed as I do a lot of graphics arts etc, and there are MANY programs that need to be installed, patched etc. TWO DAYS at least time wize.

2) Upgrade to XP SP1. I am not so fond of XP, I believe it is slower overall than Win2K, but I am thinking that it would at least replace all system files and make it close to a clean install without having to replace/Reinstall all apps.

Any opinions ????

Did you try plugging your main machine directly to the modem? W/out going through any routers/switches etc..

1) I updated the firmware on the Linksys router, which reset everything.

No help.

2) I plugged my machine DIRECTLY into the Linksys Cablemodem.

No help.

Once again, it runs fast for downloads, I can go to

www.dslreports.com and run the speed test and it gives me good speeds.

If I download some binaries from a newsgroup, my DUMeter indicates that the pipe is filling up to the advertised speed. But my IE browser just does not finish loading all the graphics etc., for example right now all as I edit this, all the little emoticons have not filled in, just a bunch of boxes with red "x"s in them, after a couple minutes.

This really seems IE related, but I have not had any success even after re-installing Win2K and Uninstalling and re-installing IE6.01 SP1.

On another note, I tried installing Norton Personal Firewall 2003 to see if it would detect some wierd stuff going on, on reboot I got a BSOD with a message about not enough irp_locations. MS KB recommended upping the IRPSTACKSIZE to 15 (decimal), I tried and it did not help. Of course, I could not uninstall it (that would be too easy), so I had to download RNIS.EXE from Symantec to remove it. Then the machine rebooted fine (phew--another hour lost).

After much frustration:

I joined microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser newsgroup to search for some discussion of my problem.

I found a link to this discussion

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&am...lr%3D%26hl%3Den

Which mentioned the SAME problem. At any rate I downloaded a program called CableNut http://www.cablenut.com/ which does some registry tweaks and suddenly my IE is working FINE again.

Thanks to all who listened to my rants and raves trying to solve this problem. Just though I would share the solution.