Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TSPoon

SBLive gameport

Did anybody ever figure out how to get the SB Live gameport to work under 2183? I installed LW3 (rather unsuccessfully, I might add), but I still get nothing about a gameport in the device manager. I've tried completely uninstalling the sound card, and reinstalling. . . nothing. The gameport did used to work with RC2, but after upgrading to RC3, I can't get a thing. Anybody have a miracle driver out there?

Uninstall LiveWare. Uninstall the sound card. Possibly even delete the drivers. Then install using the "shipped-with-W2K" drivers.

The native drivers work great for the game port and audio (as long as you're happy with regular stereo). If you dick around, stuff breaks...

Yep, Yuppie. I can attest to that. I tried several drivers to get the game port working, each time wound up with increadable hosage...

There are two things to know here:

the game port after the Liveware install is listed as the "Creative Multimedia Interface". Come to think of it, it may have been called that too before the patch. But I digress...

The name of the driver you want is "Game Port for Creative". Use the drivers that come with Win2k! Dated 5/23/98, ver 5.0.0.0.

I have mine running this now, but my liveware patch got broked when I was dinking around with something else. You'll know you got it wrong if you re-boot and it takes an hour to get back to the Device Manger screen to disable it...really slows things down.

Thanks to you both. I got the port working: The Device Manager said "Creative Multimedia Interface" and I just updated that driver using the one shipped with Windows called "Game Port for Creative SB Live!". It works like a champ.

As for the LW3 update and the slow-down. I found that the slowdown (at least on my system) was related to a file being accessed from McAfee VirusScan NT (amgrsrvc.exe). It was constantly using 100% system resources. I simply renamed the file to amgrsrvc.bak and rebooted, which considerably sped up the system. I'm not sure if that will apply to other people's systems, though.